Corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0 help

In summary, after purchasing a new car engine, the parts showed signs of corrosion after two months of storage. It is possible that this type of aluminum alloy can corrode in this amount of time.
AluminumHelp
Recently, we purchased a relatively brand new high performance car engine to swap with our regular car engine for the purpose of gaining more horsepower. I need to find out the probability of corrosion of an aluminum alloy (possibly 319.0) part of a complete engine block brought to the shop that was not corroded prior to being brought to the shop... but, after two months of storage at the shop, these aluminum parts showed signs of corrosion.

After an ordeal with the shop of over 2 months and upon pickup... these parts were corroded, apparently under normal storage conditions. Is it likely that this type of aluminum alloy can corrode in this amount of time? We have suspicion that the shop has been deceptive and the engine that we were returned in our car after services were rendered is not the engine that we brought to the shop to be swapped... because of this corrosion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Are you signed on under 2 usernames, or has someone else of your acquaintance been here already? I ask because this is the second thread on the same topic that has come up in the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure where the other one is, but there are responses to it. Try searching it out.

Yes, we are 2 different people. We are still in the process of getting answers to our questions and I was supposed to post my question somewhere else for more expert opinion on this matter. There was miscommunication. Thanks for your help.

Well, I wouldn't call it 'help'. It was more just acknowledging your query. I wish that I really could help, but this is not in my area of experience. My only run-in with aluminum corrosion was learning that you have to use mon-el rivets when attaching aluminum to steel in aircraft construction, to eliminate dielectric interactions that eat the material. This is clearly not applicable to your situation. Good luck, though; you've got some serious experts here who should be responding shortly.

1. What is corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0?

Corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0 is the gradual deterioration of the metal surface due to chemical reactions with its environment. It can result in the formation of oxide or salt layers on the surface, which weaken the structural integrity of the alloy.

2. What factors contribute to the corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0?

The corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0 is influenced by various factors such as exposure to moisture, high temperatures, saltwater, acidic or alkaline environments, and contact with dissimilar metals.

3. How can corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0 be prevented?

To prevent corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0, protective coatings or anodizing can be applied to the surface. Proper maintenance and regular cleaning can also help to prevent corrosion. It is also important to avoid exposure to corrosive environments and to use compatible materials in contact with the alloy.

4. What are the common signs of corrosion in aluminum alloy 319.0?

The most common signs of corrosion in aluminum alloy 319.0 include discoloration, pitting, roughness, and loss of structural integrity. These can be seen on the surface of the alloy and can lead to potential failure if not addressed.

5. How can the corrosion of aluminum alloy 319.0 be repaired?

If corrosion has already occurred, it is important to remove the damaged area and repair it with compatible materials. This can include sanding or grinding to remove the corroded layers, followed by reapplication of protective coatings or anodizing. In severe cases, the damaged section may need to be replaced with a new piece of aluminum alloy 319.0.