Solve the Mystery: Find the Switch that Lights the Attic

In summary, the conversation is about figuring out which switch in the cellar controls the light in the attic. The person can only go upstairs once to check the light and they come up with a method to determine the correct switch by observing the state of the light bulb in the attic. They also make a joke about being in the dark while discussing light switches.
scupydog
In the cellar you have three light switches, one of which turns the light on in the attic.

You can only go upstairs once to check the light in the attic.

Which switch turns on the light?

Physics news on Phys.org
You open the 1st switch and you wait for a while, say 1 min. Then you close the 1st switch, and you open the second. Then you go to the attic.

1. If the bulb is on then the correct switch is the 2nd.
  2. If the dulb is off then you touch it.
    • If the bulb is hot then you have turned on the buld, so the oret switch is the 1st.
    • If the bulb is cold then tou have never turn it on, so the correct swith is the 3rd.

Of course, all of that are correct if the bulb was turned off from the begging! :rofl:

Rainbow Child said:
You open the 1st switch and you wait for a while, say 1 min. Then you close the 1st switch, and you open the second. Then you go to the attic.

1. If the bulb is on then the correct switch is the 2nd.
  2. If the dulb is off then you touch it.
    • If the bulb is hot then you have turned on the buld, so the oret switch is the 1st.
    • If the bulb is cold then tou have never turn it on, so the correct swith is the 3rd.

Of course, all of that are correct if the bulb was turned off from the begging! :rofl:
Are you drunk, or are you typing in the dark? :rolleyes:

I was typing drunk, in the dark! :rofl:

Surprising that you are in the dark since you are handy with light switches.

Flick one switch on and off for about 5 years. Turn it off. Turn on another. Go up into the attic. The one with the black spot is the switch you were flipping, the other two are known due to the one that is on.

1. How do I find the switch that lights the attic?

The first step is to thoroughly search the attic for any obvious switches or controls. If you do not find anything, try checking the walls and ceiling for any hidden switches. You can also try following the wiring from the attic light fixture to see if it leads to a switch.

2. Is there a specific type of switch that I should be looking for?

Attic lights can be controlled by a variety of switches, including traditional toggle switches, push-button switches, or even remote-controlled switches. Look for any type of switch that could potentially control the attic light.

3. What should I do if I cannot find a switch in the attic?

If you cannot find a switch in the attic, try checking other areas of the house, such as the hallway leading to the attic or the room below the attic. It is possible that the switch for the attic light is located in a different area.

4. Are there any common hiding spots for attic light switches?

Some common hiding spots for attic light switches include inside a nearby closet, behind a piece of furniture, or inside a cabinet. Be sure to thoroughly check these areas if you do not find a switch in the attic itself.

5. Could the switch be located outside of the house?

In some cases, the switch for the attic light may be located outside of the house near the attic entrance. This could be in the form of a outdoor switch or even a timer switch. Check the area around the attic entrance for any potential switches.