Stuck on Physics Homework: Q3 Part C

In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with question 3 of a physics homework assignment and seeking clarification on a concept related to a rotating frame. They also express doubts about the solution provided in the textbook and offer to scan the relevant section for further discussion. The Coriolis force and its relationship to vector velocity and conservation of angular momentum are mentioned in the conversation.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.oregonstate.edu/~mcintyre/COURSES/ph429_S06/hw1.pdf

See question 3. I am really stuck trying to answer part c. I looked over the solutions to parts a and b and I really just cannot figure out what is going on. This is very weird.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
a rotating frame is not an inertial reference frame

thanks, but I really don't see how that answers the question

In fact, I think that Marion and Thornton make an error in their book. There is no reason why the deflections should be in different directions. Does anyone have the book? If not, I can scan the relevant section which is like 2 pages long if someone agrees to read it.

Last edited:
The Coriolis force is proportional to vector velocity, which changes sign.
You can also see this using conservation of angular momentum.

1. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending points of an object's path. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

2. How do I calculate the average velocity of an object?

The average velocity of an object is calculated by dividing the displacement of the object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for average velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is the average velocity, Δx is the change in displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is changing its position. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity. Additionally, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

4. How do I determine the acceleration of an object?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a is the acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the average rate at which an object is changing its position over a period of time. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the object's position over time. In other words, instantaneous velocity is the slope of the object's position-time graph at a specific point.