Calculating Beat Frequency in Ultrasound Doppler Effect

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem involving ultrasound and the doppler effect. The problem involved determining the beat frequency of ultrasound reflected from an oncoming bloodstream moving at 30 cm/s. The original frequency was 2.5 MHz and the velocity of sound in blood was given as 1540 m/s. After attempting the problem using the doppler effect formula, the person came up with an incorrect answer of 487.1 Hz. With the help of another person, they realized that there was a second shift involved due to the oncoming bloodstream moving towards the original source. The correct answer was determined to be 974.2 Hz.
jjlittel
I have been trying this problem for a couple of days:

Ultrasound reflected from an oncoming bloodstream that is moving at 30 cm/s is mixed with the original frequency of 2.5 MHz to produce beats. What is the beat frequency? (Velocity of sound in blood = 1540 m/s.)

I tried this as a doppler effect problem where the frequency is
(original frequency)*{v/(v-velocity of source)}. I then subtracted that from the original frequency to find the beat frequency, and came up with 487.1 Hz, but that was not the right answer. For v, I used 1540 m/s, and velocity of source was 0.3 m/s. Is there something I am missing in my approach to the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to solve this with two shifts.

Consider a second observer riding along with the oncoming bloodstream. This observer is moving toward the original source & therefore perceives an increase in frequency. So the reflected wave starts out with a shifted frequency, which is then shifted again because it's source (the oncoming bloodstream) is moving toward the original observer.

Thank you for the help, gnome. You were right about the second shift, and I finally got the answer, which was 974.2 Hz.

1. What is beat frequency in relation to sound problems?

Beat frequency is the difference between two sound waves with slightly different frequencies that are heard when played together. It is a type of interference that results in a pulsating sound.

2. How is beat frequency calculated?

To calculate beat frequency, you need to know the frequencies of the two sound waves. Subtract the lower frequency from the higher frequency and the result is the beat frequency. For example, if one sound wave has a frequency of 500 Hz and the other has a frequency of 505 Hz, the beat frequency would be 5 Hz.

3. What causes beat frequency in sound problems?

Beat frequency is caused by the interference of two sound waves with similar frequencies. When two waves with slightly different frequencies overlap, they create regions of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in a pulsating sound.

4. How does beat frequency affect the quality of sound?

Beat frequency can have both positive and negative effects on the quality of sound. In some cases, it can create a pleasant, rhythmic sound. However, in other cases, it can create a distracting or unpleasant sound. It all depends on the frequencies of the sound waves and how they interact with each other.

5. Is beat frequency a common issue in sound problems?

Beat frequency is a common issue in sound problems, especially in situations where multiple sound sources are present. It can also occur in natural environments, such as when two birds sing at slightly different frequencies and their songs overlap, creating a beat frequency.