What is the Finite Element Method and How Can I Learn More About It?

In summary, the finite element method (FEM) is a numerical technique used to solve problems in engineering and applied sciences by dividing a complex structure or system into smaller elements and using mathematical equations to approximate their behavior. It offers advantages such as handling complex geometries and nonlinear behavior, and is widely used in fields such as structural engineering and fluid mechanics. However, it has limitations such as reliance on simplifying assumptions and requiring computational resources and expertise. FEM differs from other numerical methods in its approach to discretization and flexibility in modeling complex situations.
lukejo
i need a full explanation on finite element method or better still a material i can read to help me understand better

Physics news on Phys.org
the wikipedia page is actually pretty good.

What is the finite element method?

The finite element method (FEM) is a numerical technique used to solve problems in engineering and applied sciences. It involves dividing a complex structure or system into smaller, simpler elements, and using mathematical equations to approximate the behavior of each element. These equations are then solved to obtain an overall solution for the entire system.

What are the advantages of using the finite element method?

The finite element method offers several advantages over traditional analytical methods, such as the ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, and the ability to model nonlinear behavior. It also allows for more accurate and efficient solutions for problems with large numbers of variables.

How is the finite element method applied in real-world situations?

The finite element method is widely used in various fields, such as structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and fluid mechanics. It is used to analyze and design structures such as buildings, bridges, and aircraft, as well as to model fluid flow and heat transfer in industrial processes.

What are the limitations of the finite element method?

One limitation of the finite element method is that it relies on simplifying assumptions and approximations, which may lead to errors in the results. It also requires a significant amount of computational resources and expertise to properly implement and interpret the results.

How is the finite element method different from other numerical methods?

The finite element method differs from other numerical methods, such as finite difference method and finite volume method, in its approach to discretization. FEM divides the problem domain into elements, while finite difference method divides it into grid points, and finite volume method divides it into control volumes. FEM also allows for more flexibility in modeling complex geometries and boundary conditions compared to other methods.