Cut a Vent in SolidWorks When Face is Broken

• Thread starter 00PS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solidworks
In summary: Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.In summary, you will need to learn how to model and draft in order to modify the model with new features.
00PS
Basically, I am trying to cut out a vent for a fan. The vent feature of SW requires the vent to be on a single face, and in this case it is not. The bottom half of the case has a mounting flange (highlighted green in attached image), so I cannot place the vent where I need to. The model was imported from a .igs file and I cannot simply "delete" the feature. How can I remove the highlighted portion and extend the face across the deleted portion to create a contiguous face to cut the vent?

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 414
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you'll have to do a sketch and then extrude-cut.

Mech_Engineer said:
Looks to me like you'll have to do a sketch and then extrude-cut.

a little confused...A sketch of what? Can you be more descriptive?

Thanks.

If you can't delete that part, "cut(subtract)" that part using a similar shape, that's what he meant.

In my experience, IGES files are very difficult to modify with new features (removing or adding). I would first see if you can get the model in a native format to Solidowrks, or at least a parasolid.

Basically, you have to "cut" the mounting flange off by sketching on a plane that is perpandicular to it, and create an outline that follows what you want to cut off. I'm not 100% this operation can be preformed on an IGES model however...

Mech_Engineer said:
In my experience, IGES files are very difficult to modify with new features (removing or adding). I would first see if you can get the model in a native format to Solidowrks, or at least a parasolid.

Basically, you have to "cut" the mounting flange off by sketching on a plane that is perpandicular to it, and create an outline that follows what you want to cut off. I'm not 100% this operation can be preformed on an IGES model however...

I have access to SolidEdge, would it be easier to make the adjustments in that enviroment?

Solidworks isn't the problem, IGES files are. If after you try you are unable to remove the flange with an extrude-subtract operation (or other method), I would recommend getting the model in another format.

Mech_Engineer said:
Solidworks isn't the problem, IGES files are. If after you try you are unable to remove the flange with an extrude-subtract operation (or other method), I would recommend getting the model in another format.

I now have DWG/DXF drawings of the assembly, are their easier solutions now? I don't quite follow you on your solution (and to be honest would need a click by click walkthrough). This whole ordeal has been my first time using SW and without any sort of drafting knowledge I am lost to say the least. Thank you for your patience.

Well, I don't have Solidworks so I can't help you with a click-by-click tutorial (since you have no modeling experience, I'm not sure it would help much anyway). Basically, you'll either need to find someone who knows enough about solid modeling and drafting to do it, or you'll need to learn the basics of solid modeling to do it yourself. While not very difficult (Solidworks is quite easy to learn IMO) it will take a certain type of thought process which seems to be escaping you thus far...

Teaching you how to model and draft is imposible through a forum, I'd suggest studying on-line Solidworks tutorials, and consider buying a book at your local bookstore or at Amazon.com.

Looks like a useful website:
http://www.3dcadtips.com/go.php?topic=2&cat=772"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a problem when it comes to drawing springs. I've grasped the basic springs. I'm trying to create a closed end coil but it's not right. I'm basically adding another coil with a smaller pitch but there's no smooth transition in the wire. looks broken. I have solid works 2000. does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you post a picture that illustrates the problem you're having?

I think I've found the answer in another thread. Apparently you cannot do the varying pitch springs with the s/w 2000 edition. You can with 2006 though.

1. How do I cut a vent in SolidWorks when the face is broken?

To cut a vent in SolidWorks when the face is broken, follow these steps:

1. Select the broken face.
  2. Go to the "Features" tab and click on "Extruded Cut".
  3. In the options, select "Through All" for the end condition.
  4. Draw the vent shape on the broken face.
  5. Click "Ok" to apply the cut.

2. What should I do if the vent shape does not align with the broken face?

If the vent shape does not align with the broken face, you can use the "Offset Entities" tool to create a new sketch and align it with the broken face before applying the extruded cut.

3. Can I use a sketch pattern to create multiple vents on the broken face?

Yes, you can use the "Linear Pattern" or "Circular Pattern" tool to create multiple vents on the broken face. First, create one vent using the steps mentioned above. Then, use the pattern tool to duplicate the vent in a linear or circular pattern.

4. What if the broken face is not a flat surface?

If the broken face is not a flat surface, you can use the "Split Line" tool to divide the face into smaller sections and then apply the extruded cut on each section separately.

5. Can I change the size or shape of the vent after it has been cut?

Yes, you can edit the vent by selecting the extruded cut feature in the "Feature Manager" and making changes to the sketch or end conditions. You can also use the "Edit Feature" tool to make changes directly to the vent shape.