Installing HD on XP Dell Inspiron 4150

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a new Hitachi 120Gb Travelstar 5K160 hard drive for a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 4150 running XP. The plan is to eventually make it the primary drive and install XP on it, but for now, it will be used as a USB drive. The process of formatting the new drive is discussed, with the recommendation to avoid using Windows 98 and instead format it with XP for stability and security reasons. The conversation also mentions the ability to convert a Fat32 partition to NTFS, but warns that it may cause issues with access rights if there is already data on the drive.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
So I just bought a new, bigger HD, a Hitachi 120Gb Travelstar 5K160 for my 5 year old Dell Inspiron 4150 running XP.

Eventually, I will make it my primary drive, and I'll install XP on it. For now, I'm going to keep it as my USB drive until I get my current drive's data onto it.

That's my plan.

So far, I've hooked it up and my system saw it and got it ready. But it doesn't come up as a drive on my system. This is surely because it has yet to be formatted. How can I format it?

A disk came with the HD, which it seems wants to install Windows 98. That means I could swap my old drive out and this new drive in, then boot up with the disk in and get 98 installed on my new drive. I guess then the only piece would be that I would have to have an upgrade version of XP, rather than an install.

Is there a better way to get this new drive running so that I can access it from my current system?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ignore the disc.
Goto control panel -> admin tools -> Computer management -> disk management ->local storage
You will need to create a primary partition and format it.

I want to have your children.

Avoid formatting with Win98, as you would get a Fat32 volume, which is less stable and less secure. Do it with Xp as mgb_phys said.

Worked OK.

Just for the archives, you can convert a fat32 partition to an NTFS one with the 'convert' command - without losing any data.

Convert Fat32 to Ntfs: it works, yes.

But if you already have data on the Fat32 volume, or worse, the OS or the applications, converting to Ntfs won't create any access rights. This is really annoying, as protecting files and using a non-administrator session to surf on the Internet is a very important step for security - about as important as having an antivirus.

So if you want to convert to Ntfs, do it before writing sensitive files on it, especially the OS.

1. How do I install an HD on my XP Dell Inspiron 4150?

To install an HD on your XP Dell Inspiron 4150, you will need to first purchase a compatible hard drive and make sure it is properly formatted for use with your computer. Then, you will need to open up your laptop's casing and locate the hard drive bay. Carefully remove the old hard drive and replace it with the new one, making sure it is securely connected. Finally, you will need to install the necessary drivers and software to ensure your new hard drive is recognized by your computer.

2. Do I need any special tools to install an HD on my XP Dell Inspiron 4150?

No, you do not need any special tools to install an HD on your XP Dell Inspiron 4150. However, having a small screwdriver and an anti-static wrist strap can be helpful in safely opening up your laptop and handling the new hard drive.

3. Can I install any size HD on my XP Dell Inspiron 4150?

No, you cannot install any size HD on your XP Dell Inspiron 4150. This laptop is only compatible with 2.5-inch hard drives with a maximum capacity of 120GB. It is important to check the specifications of your laptop before purchasing a new hard drive to ensure compatibility.

4. Will installing a new HD on my XP Dell Inspiron 4150 erase all my data?

Yes, installing a new HD on your XP Dell Inspiron 4150 will erase all your data. It is important to back up any important files before proceeding with the installation process. You can transfer your data from your old hard drive to the new one using an external hard drive or a data transfer cable.

5. How long does it take to install an HD on my XP Dell Inspiron 4150?

The time it takes to install an HD on your XP Dell Inspiron 4150 can vary depending on your level of technical experience. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete the installation process. It is recommended to follow a step-by-step guide and take your time to ensure the process is done correctly.