Power as a car going uphill

• Thread starter frosti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Power
Did you remember to convert the given speed from km/h to m/s? Did you remember to convert the answer from watts to horsepower?In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the power required to maintain a speed of 100 km/h as a car climbs a long hill at a 3.50° angle. The mass of the car is 1500 kg and its aerodynamic drag coefficient is 0.380, with a frontal area of 2.50 m2. The formula used is F = mgsin(theta) + .5DpAv^2, which is then used to calculate the power required (P = Fv). The answer is found to be 51 horsepower, but the person asking the question is
frosti

Homework Statement

The mass of a car is 1500 kg. The shape of the body is such that its aerodynamic drag coefficient is D = 0.380 and frontal area is 2.50 m2. Assuming that the drag force is proportional to v^2 and ignoring other sources of friction, calculate the power required to maintain a speed of 100 km/h as the car climbs a long hill sloping at 3.50° the answer is in horsepower

Homework Equations

R = .5DpAv^2
P = Fv
1hp = 746W

The Attempt at a Solution

Total force the engine needs to overcome is the gravitational force at an angle and air resistance.
To find force, F = mgsin(theta) + .5 DpAv^2. Plugs everything in, F = (1500)(9.8)sin(3.5) + .5(.38)(1.29)(2.5)(27.78^2) = 1370.3N
To find power, P = 1370.3(27.78) = 38067W, 38067W = 51 hp.

I don't think my answer is correct. Can anyone offer any insight as to why? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me. You probably were expecting a bit more horse required?

I entered my answer into the online homework thing and it told me I was 10% within the correct answer. I just can't figure out what's wrong with what I did. Man...

Did you copy down the correct information given in the problem?

1. What is the relationship between power and going uphill in a car?

The relationship between power and going uphill in a car is that the power of the car's engine is needed to overcome the force of gravity and maintain a constant speed while driving uphill. The steeper the incline, the more power is required to keep the car moving.

2. How does the weight of a car affect its power while going uphill?

The weight of a car can greatly affect its power while going uphill. A heavier car will require more power to move uphill compared to a lighter car. This is because the force of gravity is greater on a heavier car, making it more difficult to overcome while driving uphill.

3. What is the role of the car's transmission in maintaining power while going uphill?

The car's transmission plays a crucial role in maintaining power while going uphill. The transmission helps to regulate the power output from the engine and adjust the gear ratio to provide the necessary power to drive uphill. Without a properly functioning transmission, a car may struggle to maintain power while going uphill.

4. How does the grade of the uphill affect the power needed to drive a car?

The grade of the uphill, or the steepness of the incline, can greatly affect the power needed to drive a car. The steeper the grade, the more power is needed to overcome the force of gravity and maintain a constant speed. A less steep grade will require less power to drive the car uphill.

5. Can a car run out of power while going uphill?

Yes, a car can run out of power while going uphill. This can happen if the car's engine is not powerful enough to overcome the force of gravity and maintain a constant speed. It can also happen if the car's battery runs out of charge, resulting in a loss of power to the engine. It is important to ensure that a car has enough power to make it up a steep incline to avoid getting stuck or stranded.