Mining or Petroleum Engineering: Deciding a Career Path

• Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Petroleum
In summary: I'm not sure how much longer petroleum engineering will be in demand. A lot of green technology is coming up that is taking over some of the functions that petroleum engineers used to do. But for now, there is definitely a need for them. Yeah we just spent about 70,000 USD last year on a software program to model deepsea drilling risers. My company actual has a hard time finding good help in our industry.
suspenc3
I'm currently in 3'rd year mining engineering at a Canadian university, there is no actual "Petroleum Engineering" program here, it is done as a Mining degree with a petroleum option. I'm more interested in the petroleum side of the industry, but with the current situation concerning the oil and gas sector, I'm kind of worried. Whichever road I choose, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job upon graduation, but I'm unsure about the industries future due to the "green" shift among other things. What are other people's thoughts on the future of the industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
suspenc3 said:
I'm currently in 3'rd year mining engineering at a Canadian university, there is no actual "Petroleum Engineering" program here, it is done as a Mining degree with a petroleum option. I'm more interested in the petroleum side of the industry, but with the current situation concerning the oil and gas sector, I'm kind of worried. Whichever road I choose, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job upon graduation, but I'm unsure about the industries future due to the "green" shift among other things. What are other people's thoughts on the future of the industry?

No worries...at least for the next 50 years. The world may certainly shift toward the green but the need for oil and gas isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

CS

And as petroleum reserves are used up it gets harder to find new ones - so more R+D and more demand for experts.
We are seeing that in the North Sea, even as major fields are running down the investment in high tech (ROVs, sonar, modelling etc ) is going up.

mgb_phys said:
And as petroleum reserves are used up it gets harder to find new ones - so more R+D and more demand for experts.
We are seeing that in the North Sea, even as major fields are running down the investment in high tech (ROVs, sonar, modelling etc ) is going up.

Yeah we just spent about 70,000 USD last year on a software program to model deepsea drilling risers. My company actual has a hard time finding good help in our industry.

CS

1. What is the difference between mining engineering and petroleum engineering?

Mining engineering deals with the extraction of minerals and resources from the earth, while petroleum engineering focuses on the exploration, extraction, and production of oil and gas. While both involve engineering principles, they have different focuses and applications.

2. What skills are required for a career in mining or petroleum engineering?

Some important skills for both mining and petroleum engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, knowledge of geology and geological processes, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, and the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.

3. What are the job prospects for mining and petroleum engineers?

The job outlook for both mining and petroleum engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% and 3% respectively from 2019-2029. As the demand for natural resources and energy continues to grow, these engineers will be needed to develop new sources and improve extraction techniques.

4. Is a degree in mining or petroleum engineering necessary for a career in this field?

While a degree in mining or petroleum engineering is not always required, it is highly recommended for those seeking a career in these fields. A degree provides the necessary knowledge and skills to excel in these industries and can also open up more opportunities for advancement and higher salaries.

5. What does a typical day look like for a mining or petroleum engineer?

A typical day for a mining or petroleum engineer may involve conducting site visits, analyzing data and geological maps, designing and overseeing mining or drilling operations, and working with other engineers and professionals to ensure the safety and efficiency of the project. The work can vary depending on the specific role and industry, but problem-solving and critical thinking are common tasks for both types of engineers.