Proving trace of (1,1) Tensor is a scalar

In summary: So to transform Myab to My'ab, I useMy'ab=(dx'c/dxc)(dyd/dy'c)MyabIn summary, to prove the trace is a scalar, you need to show that it doesn't transform under coordinate transformations. This can be done by multiplying both sides of the transformation equation by the Kronecker delta and using the chain rule for partial derivatives. By doing this, you will arrive at the conclusion that the trace is invariant under coordinate transformations, and therefore a scalar. Additionally, when transforming Mab into a different coordinate system, it can be denoted as Mxab or Myab for the x and y coordinate systems respectively.
trv

Homework Statement

Given a tensor Mab, Prove that its trace is a scalar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove the trace is a scalar, I know I have to prove it doesn't transform under coordinate transformations.

Now, we can transform M^a_b as follows.
M'cd=(dx'c/dxa)(dxb/dx'd)Mab

For the trace Maa, the transformation is as follows. I've used the Kronecker delta for changing Mab to Maa. ( Am I along the right lines in doing so?).
M'cd=(dx'c/dxa)(dxb/dx'd)Mab(Kronecker deltaab)

Then I thought using the delta I change dxb to dxa and cancel the two dxa. However that would then the delta away from Mab, leaving it as Mab as before rather than Maa.

That's the best I can do, please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way you are doing it leaves your indices way out of balance. You've got three a indices and three b indices on the right side. Multiply both sides by [tex]\delta_c^d[/tex] and use the chain rule for partial derivatives.

Ok, so its,

To get the transformation equation for the trace, multiply both sides by delta cd[/SUB}

M'cd(delta cd)=(dxb/dx'd)(dx'c/dxa)Mab(delta cd)

Thus,
M'cc=(dxb/dx'c)(dx'c/dxa)Mab

By chain rule,

M'cc=(dxb/dxa)Mab

Now dxb/dxa=delta ab

Thus,

M'cc=Maa

Now, we can change the dummy variable c---> a. (I've seen this being done. Is it allowed only for indices that are being summed over, and thus don't affect other terms?)

Thus,
M'aa=Maa
i.e. Maa is invariant under coordinate transformations. Therefore Maa the trace of Mab is a scalar.

OK I get it, thanks Dick. Can someone check the dummy variable bit however.

Last edited:
Yes, if a variable is summed, it doesn't matter what it's name is. I would put interchange the c and d on your delta though. You've got two c indices up. In the summation convention you usually want one up and one down.

If I may quickly add another quick question.

Mab in primed x-coordinates is denoted simply by adding the prime, i.e. M'ab.

Instead if I was transforming Mab into the y-coordinates. How can I denote that?

If I understand your question, then you just write the same formula with y instead of x'. But I probably don't. How do you indicate M is a tensor in the y coordinate system?

Hi again Dick. Yeh, you misunderstood my question, but I managed to find out what I wanted.

Apparently Mab can be written as Mxab for the tensor in the x-coordinate system and Myab for the y-coordinate system.

1. What is a (1,1) tensor?

A (1,1) tensor is a mathematical object that represents a linear transformation from one vector space to another. It consists of one contravariant index and one covariant index, and can be thought of as a matrix.

2. How do you prove the trace of a (1,1) tensor is a scalar?

To prove the trace of a (1,1) tensor is a scalar, we can use the properties of trace and tensor multiplication. By definition, the trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements. Since a (1,1) tensor is a matrix, its trace will also be the sum of its diagonal elements. Since the diagonal elements of a (1,1) tensor are the same regardless of the basis used, the trace will be the same in all coordinate systems, making it a scalar.

3. Why is proving the trace of a (1,1) tensor important?

Proving the trace of a (1,1) tensor is important because it allows us to simplify calculations involving tensors. By showing that the trace is a scalar, we can use the properties of scalars to manipulate the tensor in equations, making calculations easier.

4. Can the trace of a (1,1) tensor be negative?

Yes, the trace of a (1,1) tensor can be negative. The trace is simply the sum of the diagonal elements of the tensor, which can be positive, negative, or zero. It is important to note that the trace itself is a scalar and can never be negative, but the individual diagonal elements that make up the trace can be.

5. Are there any real-life applications of proving the trace of a (1,1) tensor?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of proving the trace of a (1,1) tensor. Tensors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities, such as stress and strain in materials. By proving the trace of a (1,1) tensor is a scalar, we can simplify calculations involving these quantities and make them more manageable. Tensors are also used in machine learning and computer vision, where proving the trace of a (1,1) tensor is important for manipulating and analyzing data.