Infinite sets, intersection, nested intervals.

In summary, the problem states that A is an infinite subset of an interval [a,b], and z is the unique point that belongs to all intervals [an, bn]. It is required to show that if I is any interval containing z, then the intersection of A and I is also infinite. This can be proved by using the fact that a set containing an infinite subset is also infinite.
mathkiddi

Homework Statement

Let [a,b] be an interval and let A be a subset of [a,b]. and Suppose that A is an infinite set.

Let z be the unique point that belongs to all of the intervals [an, bn]. Show that if I is any interval that contains z, then A intersect I is infinite.

Homework Equations

I don't know where to start this problem but I think I can use the fact that a set that contains an infinite subset is infinite. Any help would be appreciate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I is an infinite interval, I think. I also know the set of intervals [an, bn] intersect A is infinite. I believe I can say that [an, bb] is a subset of [a,b] and that [a,b] is infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that z is the unique point that belongs to all of the intervals [an, bn]. So I think I can say that [an, bn] intersect A is infinite, which means [a,b] intersect A is infinite. I then can say that I intersect A is infinite because I contains z, which belongs to all of the intervals [an, bn].

1. What is an infinite set?

An infinite set is a set that contains an infinite number of elements. This means that the set cannot be counted and is larger than any finite number. Examples of infinite sets include the set of all natural numbers and the set of all real numbers.

2. How is the intersection of sets defined?

The intersection of sets is defined as the set that contains all elements that are common to both sets. In other words, it is the set of all elements that are present in both sets. The intersection of sets is denoted by the symbol ∩.

3. What is the nested interval property?

The nested interval property states that if a sequence of nested intervals (sets contained within each other) has a non-empty intersection, then the intersection contains exactly one element. This property is commonly used in mathematics to prove the existence of real numbers.

4. How is the intersection of an infinite number of sets calculated?

The intersection of an infinite number of sets is calculated by taking the intersection of each individual set in the collection. This means that the resulting intersection will only contain elements that are present in all of the sets in the collection.

5. What is the significance of infinite sets in mathematics?

Infinite sets play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and set theory. They allow for the exploration of concepts such as limits, continuity, and infinity. Infinite sets also have practical applications in fields such as computer science and physics.