Finding Acceleration of a Pendulum Ball at Point A

In summary, the problem is asking for the acceleration of a 2 kg ball on a 3 meter long string swinging along path ABC, with angles AOB and AOC both equal to 30 degrees. The equation F=ma is used to find the tangential acceleration at point A, and the hint suggests finding the angle of the component of the force of gravity in the tangential direction using trigonometry.
ah19

Homework Statement

A 2 kg ball on a 3 meter long string swings along patch ABC. Angle AOB and AOC equal 30* each. Find the acceleration of the ball at point A.

5uhett.jpg

Homework Equations

Guesses: F=ma, v = vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using tan30 = X/2.6 and solving for X to find the horizontal distance. Then, draw a FBD and mg = 20 and the other leg is X, which would allow me to solve for the hypotenuse. But I realized that I cannot add a force with a distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
tangential acceleration in point A,since there is no radial acceleration cause V=0(ar=V^2/R)
Goodluck.
Edit:
hint number 2
find the angle of the component of the force mg in the tangential direction using trigo(height ,Length)

Dweirdo said:
Hint:
hint number 2
find the angle of the component of the force mg in the tangential direction using trigo(height ,Length)

hi,

how do i do that, i tried to see if the triangles were similar but no luck

1. What is a ball on a pendulum question?

A ball on a pendulum question is a physics problem that involves a ball swinging back and forth on a string or rod, typically in a circular motion. It is commonly used to study the concepts of oscillation, gravity, and energy.

2. What factors affect the motion of a ball on a pendulum?

The motion of a ball on a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the string or rod, the mass of the ball, the angle at which it is released, and the force of gravity.

3. How does the length of the string or rod affect the motion of a ball on a pendulum?

The length of the string or rod affects the period of the pendulum's oscillation. A longer string or rod will result in a longer period, while a shorter string or rod will result in a shorter period.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of release and the motion of a ball on a pendulum?

The angle of release affects the amplitude of the pendulum's swing. The larger the angle, the greater the amplitude, and the smaller the angle, the smaller the amplitude. This does not affect the period of the pendulum.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect the motion of a ball on a pendulum?

The mass of the ball does not affect the period of the pendulum, but it does affect the energy and velocity of the pendulum. A heavier ball will have more energy and a higher velocity, resulting in a longer and faster swing.