Is a Post-Doc Still an Option After Completing a PhD at 31?

• Thread starter Amith2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Post doc
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a PhD in the US at the age of 31 and the concerns about age for post-doctoral work. The speaker also mentions their previous education and asks for options for pursuing a post-doctoral position.
Amith2006
Hi guys,
I have just completed my Master of Science in Physics from an Indian University. Now I wish to do PhD in the US. Being 31 years old, will it be too late for a PDF by the time I complete my PhD? As it is troubling me a bit, I just thought of having your opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on what you mean my "too late." In general, you will not be too old for post-doctoral work at 31. There's no age limitation on hiring for research projects (aside from manditory retirement laws). Even if there were, you don't typically place your date of birth or age on a CV, so there's no way anyone can know what your age is unless you tell them.

The major concern for most people is that post-docs aren't stable positions, they often have limited benefits, and the pay isn't typically all that great. This isn't so bad when you're in your twenties and you're happy just to make rent, buy groceries and have enough cash to see a movie at the end of the week. But once you get married and have a few kids to feed (not atypical for people in their thirties) your needs increase.

Thanx for your suggestion buddy.

Hi

I have done my BTech at an Indian University what are the options for me to pursue a post Doc

try searching for JEST, JAM, GATE for the research field of your liking.

raknath said:
Hi

I have done my BTech at an Indian University what are the options for me to pursue a post Doc

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but a "post doc" is a POST-DOCTORAL position. It means that you must already have your Ph.D already. Without one, your "option" for a post-doc position is almost nil.

Zz.

What is a post doc?

A post doc, or postdoctoral researcher, is a position that typically follows the completion of a doctoral degree. It is a temporary position that allows recent graduates to gain additional research experience before pursuing a permanent career in academia or industry.

What are the benefits of doing a post doc?

Doing a post doc can provide many benefits, including gaining new research skills, building a professional network, and increasing chances for future job opportunities. It also allows for more time to publish research and gain teaching experience, which can be beneficial for securing a tenure-track position.

How do I find post doc opportunities?

There are several ways to find post doc opportunities. One option is to directly contact professors or research groups that you are interested in working with. You can also search for post doc positions on job websites such as Indeed or LinkedIn, or on university websites and academic job boards.

What qualifications are needed for a post doc?

The qualifications needed for a post doc can vary depending on the specific position and field of research. However, most post doc positions require a doctoral degree, strong research skills, and relevant publications. Previous research experience and teaching experience may also be beneficial.

How long does a post doc typically last?

The length of a post doc can vary depending on the specific position and funding available. On average, a post doc can last anywhere from 1-3 years. Some positions may be shorter or longer, depending on the research project and funding duration.