Discussing Cheating in Exams: An International Perspective

In summary, cheating was rampant in the 5th of June mathematics exam in Latvia. Many students downloaded the exam online and passed. This makes it difficult to compare year to year results and makes it harder for high school graduates to get an A level.
kbaumen
First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I just want to raise a discussion.

I study in Latvia and this is my last year at high school. On 5th of June we had an exam in mathematics (it's an exam that every high school finisher in Latvia must take, that's roughly 25 000 students (we're a small country)). I thought it was easy, some of my friends thought it was quite difficult. Anyway, later, in the evening news I heard the the exam had been available on the Internet in the previous night. Many kids had downloaded it and cheated. This makes a problem, because the grading scale is created depending on how the exam is written in the whole country. Hence, no matter how difficult or easy the exam is, the number of A levels won't change much from year to year. Now, if some kids cheat, they decrease the possibility of someone getting an A level without cheating. Now everyone is ranting that the exam should be redone, these results should be canceled.

I was curious, does it happen in other countries as well? Can anyone give some similar experience or talk about how cheating is prevented in their country?

P.S. I didn't cheat, I like math. Although I need an A, it's cvery important for my university application.

Physics news on Phys.org
Our exams here in the U.S.A. and more specifically here in Texas are protected behind a firewall. So far as anyone knows this has not been breached and has internal software to automatically switch versions of the test if a breach is detected.

Best of luck to you in your pursuit for higher learning.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
Albert Einstein

In our country digital protection isn't the problem. The problem is corruption. People working in the ISEC (that's an institution which creates all the exams, dictates the primary and secondary school syllabus etc) simply want to earn some money and sell the exams. Of course not so openly as in a market, but such cases do exist. This year the exam was in a scanned version uploaded on a website and some of the exam was already done there. Funny though, the test part that was done, was mostly wrong, even though the questions were fairly easy.

Btw, thank you for the wish about higher learning.

I can offer a related story. My friend payed to retake his AS level Biology exam, and his score was canceled when it was revealed that the test had been available online for around a day before the exam officially began. He was able to retake it again within a few weeks.

Razzor7 said:
I can offer a related story. My friend payed to retake his AS level Biology exam, and his score was canceled when it was revealed that the test had been available online for around a day before the exam officially began. He was able to retake it again within a few weeks.

I hope my score won't be canceled, because I need the results ASAP, to send them to the University. If the results are canceled and the exam is to be redone, it will take an awful lot of time to prepare everything and to correct all the papers. However, I think it is unlikely to happen.

The testmakers should "leak" a bunch of fake tests

maze said:
The testmakers should "leak" a bunch of fake tests

lol :rofl:

Relax, new math exam is too expensive for Latvia.

LOL that would be awsome, good as a test of honesty. I love that idea!

1. What is the prevalence of cheating in exams on an international scale?

According to a study by the International Center for Academic Integrity, 68% of undergraduate students and 43% of graduate students have admitted to cheating on exams. However, the rates vary significantly across different countries and cultures.

2. What are the most common methods of cheating in exams?

The most common methods of cheating in exams include copying from others, using unauthorized resources (such as notes or electronic devices), and collaborating with others during the exam.

3. How does cultural context impact attitudes towards cheating in exams?

Cultural norms and values play a significant role in shaping attitudes towards cheating in exams. For example, in some cultures, the emphasis on academic success and competition may lead to a higher tolerance for cheating, while in others, cheating is seen as a serious offense and a violation of ethical principles.

4. What are the consequences of cheating in exams?

The consequences of cheating in exams can vary depending on the institution and the severity of the offense. In some cases, students may receive a failing grade for the exam or the course, while in others, they may face suspension or expulsion from the school. Additionally, cheating can have long-term consequences on a student's academic and professional integrity.

5. How can we prevent cheating in exams on an international level?

Preventing cheating in exams requires a multi-faceted approach, including promoting a culture of academic integrity, implementing strict policies and consequences for cheating, and using technology to detect and deter cheating. It is also important to address the underlying reasons why students may feel the need to cheat, such as high pressure to succeed or lack of understanding of the material.