N"Solving Pressure of Hydraulically-Operated Chair

• Thread starter naspri4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a hydraulically-operated chair is a versatile piece of furniture that can be adjusted in height for comfort and convenience. Its hydraulic system uses fluid pressure to raise or lower the chair, making it easy to find the perfect seating position. The benefits of using this type of chair include improved posture and reduced risk of injuries. To maintain it, regular cleaning and lubrication of the moving parts is recommended, as well as checking for any leaks or damage. Finally, it is important to adhere to the weight limit specified by the manufacturer to ensure the chair remains functional and safe to use.
naspri4

Homework Statement

Imagine a hydraulically operated dentist's chair having a mass of 190.0 kg and in it is sitting a 52.8 kg patient. The large piston beneath the chair has a diameter of 5.00 cm, whereas the small piston, moved by a pedal on which the dentist steps, has a diameter of 1.00 cm. What is the pressure in the interconnecting fluid when the dentist operates the chair?
the answer is in Mpa

Homework Equations

F=PA

The Attempt at a Solution

so there was another question right below this that asked for how much force he must exert on the smaller piston, so using F=PA i found P to equal 121.24 then i used that number with the area of the smaller piston and found the F of the smaller pistion to be 95.17N. So i assume the pressure must be right, but i don't get what the first question is asking for because although it is labeled in Mpa the answer is still wrong.

(finding pressure)
190 + 52.8 = 242.8

242.8 * 9.8 = 2389.44

2389.44= (P)(A=(pie)(2.5squared))

2389.44=(P)(19.625)

P=121.24

(finding second answer)
F=(121.24)(A=(pie)(.5squared))

F=(121.24)(.785)

F=95.17

Physics news on Phys.org
N

Thank you for your question. After analyzing your attempt at a solution, I believe the issue lies in your calculation for the pressure in the interconnecting fluid. The equation you used, F=PA, is correct, but the value for the force (F) should be the weight of the entire system, which includes the dentist's chair and the patient. Therefore, the calculation should be as follows:

F = (190.0 kg + 52.8 kg) * 9.8 m/s^2 = 2389.44 N

Next, we can use the equation F=PA to find the pressure (P) in the interconnecting fluid:

2389.44 N = P * (π * 2.5 cm^2)

P = 121.24 kPa

To convert kPa to MPa, we divide by 1000:

P = 121.24 kPa / 1000 = 0.12124 MPa

Therefore, the pressure in the interconnecting fluid when the dentist operates the chair is 0.12124 MPa, or 121.24 kPa.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for the first question. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of a hydraulically-operated chair?

A hydraulically-operated chair is designed to be adjustable in height for comfort and convenience. It is commonly used in office settings, medical facilities, and salons.

2. How does the hydraulic system work in a hydraulically-operated chair?

The hydraulic system in a hydraulically-operated chair uses fluid pressure to lift or lower the chair. When the lever is activated, it opens a valve that allows hydraulic fluid to flow into or out of the cylinder, causing the chair to rise or descend.

3. What are the benefits of using a hydraulically-operated chair?

One of the main benefits of a hydraulically-operated chair is its adjustable height, which allows for comfortable seating for people of different heights. It also provides support and reduces strain on the back and legs, promoting good posture and reducing the risk of injuries.

4. How do I maintain a hydraulically-operated chair?

To maintain a hydraulically-operated chair, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the moving parts, such as the cylinder and lever. It is also recommended to periodically check for any leaks or damage to the hydraulic system and to replace any worn out parts.

5. Can a hydraulically-operated chair support heavy weight?

Yes, a hydraulically-operated chair is designed to support a certain weight limit. However, it is important to check the weight limit specified by the manufacturer to ensure the chair is not overloaded, which can cause damage to the hydraulic system and compromise its functionality.