Is it fine to publish an article using the data [experimental results]

In summary, it is generally acceptable to publish an article using experimental results from your thesis research before submitting your thesis. However, it is important to consult with your advisor and defer to their advice on the strength of your results and the possibility of publication. This is often done as part of a larger collection of works in the final thesis.
drizzle
Gold Member
is it fine to publish an article using the data [experimental results] that I’ve worked on for my thesis. thanks in advance.

note: I didn't hand in my thesis yet

Physics news on Phys.org

I'd think for your thesis you'd have an adviser who would indicate when he/she deems it appropriate to submit. You shouldn't be doing anything of this scale with consulting him/her first. Defer to his/her advice regarding the strength of your results and the possibility of publication.

Generally, however, journal articles containing the research of thesis students IS published before their degree is received. Often the thesis is a coherent collection of these works with extra detail / data.

my recommendation would be to consult with your thesis advisor and follow the guidelines and policies set by your institution for publishing research findings. It is important to ensure that your thesis work is properly acknowledged and cited in any publication. Additionally, it is important to consider the novelty and significance of your experimental results before publishing them, as well as ensuring that all ethical considerations and proper protocols were followed during the research process. Ultimately, the decision to publish should be made in collaboration with your thesis advisor and with careful consideration of the potential impact and implications of your findings.

1. Is it ethical to publish an article using experimental data?

Yes, it is ethical to publish an article using experimental data as long as the data was obtained through ethical means (i.e. following proper protocols and obtaining necessary permissions) and the article is accurately representing the data without manipulation or falsification.

2. Can I publish an article using data from someone else's experiment?

It is important to obtain permission from the original researcher before using their data in your article. This ensures that proper credit is given and any potential issues with the data can be addressed. If permission is obtained, it is acceptable to publish an article using data from someone else's experiment.

3. Are there any limitations on publishing articles using experimental data?

There may be limitations depending on the type of data and the agreements made with participants or organizations involved in the research. It is important to follow any restrictions or guidelines set forth by these parties and to be transparent about the source of the data in the publication.

4. Can I publish an article using preliminary or incomplete experimental data?

Publishing articles with preliminary or incomplete experimental data is generally discouraged. This is because the results may change as the experiment progresses and could lead to inaccurate or misleading conclusions. It is best to wait until all data is collected and analyzed before publishing.

5. How should I cite experimental data in my publication?

When using experimental data in your publication, it is important to properly cite the source of the data. This includes providing information such as the name of the researcher, the title of the study, and the date the data was collected. Additionally, it is recommended to provide a link to the original source of the data if possible.