Partial Fraction Decomposition

You are exactly right! That is the way I would do it. I just wanted to make sure you knew that there were different ways to get the coefficient equations. One way, which I think is easier, is to compare coefficients of s. That is, given the equation 1=A(s^2+4)+(Bs+C)s, I would say "the coefficient of s^2 on the right side is A so A= 1. The coefficient of s on the right is B so B= 0. The constant on the right side is 4A so 4A= 1 so A= 1/4. The coefficient of s on the left side is 0
Ready2GoXtr

Homework Statement

1/[s*(s^2 + 4)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/[s*(s^2 + 4)] = A/(s) + (Bs + C)/(s^2 + 4)
=> 1 = A(s^2 + 4) + (Bs + C)s

s = 0

1 = A(0 + 4) + (B*0 + C)*0
A = 1/4

s = i

1 = A(i^2 + 4) + (Bi + C)i
1 = A(i^2 + 4) + Bi^2 + Ci
1 = (1/4)(-1 + 4) - B + Ci
1 = 3/4 - B - Ci
1/4 = -B - Ci

No clue how to do the rest,

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, I have NO idea how to do this, but try this:

On this equation, [tex]\frac {1} {4} = -B - Ci[/tex] what values of i would eliminate C, apart from 0?
After that, you solve for B and then you can insert that in [tex]1 = \frac {1} {4}\cdot(s^2 +4) + (Bs +C)\cdot s[/tex]

Last edited:
I don't know. i = 1/C ?

I think the substitution s=0 was a good idea, but I don't really see a need to introduce complex numbers here. It would clearly be hard to eliminate either B or C with one substitution so we seek two substitutions that will give us two equations which can easily be used to find B and C. Pretty much any two substitutions will work, but if we want to get rid of fractions and get some symmetry a good choice would be s=2 and s=-2 (symmetry comes from them being negations of each other, elimination of fraction comes from the fact that s^2 + 4 is divisible by 4 for these choices). This should give you two equations that you can combine to find B and C.

Im sorry but I don't follow

I solved it with coefficients! XD I compared the right and left side to the coefficient s

I got that 0 = C

now if i set s = 1

I get 1 = 5/4 + B
B = -1/4

Woot :)

Ready2GoXtr said:
I solved it with coefficients! XD I compared the right and left side to the coefficient s

I got that 0 = C

now if i set s = 1

I get 1 = 5/4 + B
B = -1/4

Woot :)

Yeah that's correct.

In case anyone was curious what I suggested was to make the two separate substitutions s=-2 and s=2 to get:
1 = 1/4(2^2 + 4) + (2B + C)2
1 = 1/4((-2)^2 + 4) + ((-2)B + C)(-2)
which can be written as:
-1 = 4B + 2C
-1 = 4B - 2C
Adding these we get:
B = -1/4
and then we get C = (4B + 1)/2 = 0.

Ready2GoXtr said:

Homework Statement

1/[s*(s^2 + 4)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/[s*(s^2 + 4)] = A/(s) + (Bs + C)/(s^2 + 4)
=> 1 = A(s^2 + 4) + (Bs + C)s

s = 0

1 = A(0 + 4) + (B*0 + C)*0
A = 1/4

s = i

1 = A(i^2 + 4) + (Bi + C)i
1 = A(i^2 + 4) + Bi^2 + Ci
1 = (1/4)(-1 + 4) - B + Ci
1 = 3/4 - B - Ci
1/4 = -B - Ci

No clue how to do the rest,

Thanks!
Yes, 1=A(s^2 + 4) + (Bs + C)s and taking s= 0 gives 1= 4A so A= 1/4.

I am not sure why to take s= i. You can, instead, take s= 2i so that [itex]s^2+ 4= (2i)^2+ 4= -4+ 4= 0[/itex]. That gives 1= A(0)+ (B(2i)+ C)(2i)= -4B+ 2Ci and then take s= -2i so that you have 1= -4B- 2Ci.

But, in fact, after you know that A= 1/4, you have [itex]1= (1/4)(s^2+ 4)+ (Bs+ C)s[/itex] and you really just need two equations to solve for B and C.

Yes, you certainly can multiply out the right side to get [itex]1= (B+ 1/4)s^2+ Cs+ 1[/itex] and then argue that, because this is true for all s, the corresponding coefficients must be equal: B+ 1/4= 0 and C= 0. That was the way you found- excellent!

But again, you just need to get two equations. (You got the two equations B+ 1/4= 0 and C= 0.) And putting any two values for s will give two equations. Since s= 0 (my favorite value to put in!) has already been used, let's try s= 1 and s= -1 (almost as easy as 0). Setting s= 1 gives 1= (1/4)(1+ 4)+ (B(1)+ C)(1)= 5/4+ B+ C or B+ C= -1/4. Setting s= -1 gives 1= (1/4)(1+ 4)+ (B(-1)+ C)(-1)= 5/4+ B- C or B- C= -1/4. Adding the two equations eliminates C leaving 2B= -2/4 so B= -1/4. Of course, then, B+ C= -1/4+ C= -1/4 so C= 0.

Just think "I want to find two numbers. How can I get two equations?" Any method that gives you two equations is good.

you have A/s+(Bs+C)/(s^2+4). Multiplying each numerator by the other's denominator gives:
1=A(s^2+4)+(Bs+C)s=(A+B)s^2+Cs+4A so now what are your equations for the coefficients?

1. What is Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is a mathematical technique used to decompose a rational expression into simpler fractions. It involves breaking down a fraction into smaller fractions with simpler denominators.

2. When is Partial Fraction Decomposition used?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is used in algebra and calculus to simplify rational expressions, solve integrals, and solve differential equations. It is also used in engineering and physics to analyze complex systems.

3. How do you perform Partial Fraction Decomposition?

To perform Partial Fraction Decomposition, you first need to factor the denominator of the rational expression into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, for each distinct factor, you write a fraction with that factor as the denominator and an undetermined numerator. Finally, you solve for the undetermined coefficients by equating the original rational expression with the sum of the decomposed fractions.

4. What is the purpose of Partial Fraction Decomposition?

The purpose of Partial Fraction Decomposition is to simplify complex rational expressions into simpler forms that are easier to manipulate and solve. It also allows for the integration of rational functions and the solution of differential equations, which are important in many areas of mathematics and science.

5. Are there any limitations to Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Yes, there are certain limitations to Partial Fraction Decomposition. It can only be applied to rational expressions, not all functions. Additionally, the process can become more complex when dealing with repeated or non-real factors in the denominator.