Calculating Forces on a 2D Rigid Body Held by Two Points

In summary: So, A is attached to B, but not C. D is attached to both A and B, but not C, and so on.The problem is that you want to find the forces on the four pins that are not attached to any other block. The first step is to find the mass of the entire array. You can do this by multiplying the radius of each circle by the mass of a block. Next, find the CG of block A. This is easy. Just subtract the radius of the circle representing the CG of block B from the radius of the circle representing the CG of block A.Next, find the forces on pins A and B. The force on pin
FigBug
This isn't homework, it's for a simple computer program I'm trying to write. It's been a long time since I took a physics class, but I seem to remember getting homework questions like this.

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1244655138002459200.png

If I have a 2D rigid body, I know its mass and the location of its CG. The object is being held by two points, how can I find the forces acting on the two points?

I know there are going to be 3 force vectors that must add up to zero. The first one is easy to find, straight down with mass * 9.8. But how do I find the other two? I assume the direction of the vectors is the angle between CG and A and B? If I have one vector and two angles, is that enough to calculate everything I need?

Torque must sum to zero as well, but I don't think I need to worry about that.

Any tips for solving this in the general case? Any tutorials I should look at? I have one physics text, Physics for Scientists & Engineers, but it only covers this topic with 1 or 2 pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you split the components of the force at A into x and y, and do the same for B, if the body is in equilibrium as shown, then [itex]\Sigma F_x= 0 [/itex] and [itex] \Sigma F_y=0[/itex]. If you know the two angles, then you'd have two equations with two unknowns.

Also if you take moments about the CG, then you'd get another equation to use.

FigBug said:
If I have a 2D rigid body, I know its mass and the location of its CG. The object is being held by two points, how can I find the forces acting on the two points?
I assume the direction of the vectors is the angle between CG and A and B?
If this is made to be so, then you can ignore the torque (because there is no applied torque in this case), and then you can solve a system of two equations and two unknowns (or four equations and four unknowns). However, this condition is not guaranteed automatically; you have to additionally require that the forces at A and B satisfy this condition.

In general, if you allow the forces at A and B to be applied in arbitrary direction, then you will have one free parameter. This simply amounts to what you probably already realize intuitively. If you just barely hold onto the rigid body, so that it does not fall, then the forces will be on the order of mg, and directed mostly upward. Alternatively, you can imagine applying opposing near-horizontal forces at A and B, in which case the forces will need to be very hard (>>mg). You can apply the forces anywhere in between these two extremes as well, giving you one free parameter.

You could also ask an interesting question: what is the minimum amount of force required at A and B?

I'm getting a bit confused, so I'm going to back up a bit to my actual problem.

I have a speaker array (as shown) that is hanging from two chains and I'm trying to find the forces on the pins labelled A, B, C, D

http://rabien.com/image/array.png

Am I correct in thinking there won't be any forces in the x direction but only the y?

To find the forces on A & B, I find the mass of the entire array and the location of the CG. If the CG is left of A or right of B then the array won't be hanging from both chains, one of them will be slack and all the weight will be on the other.

If Ax < CGx < Bx then the force will be spread between the two chains.

The force on A with be something like (CGx - Ax) / (Bx - Ax) * (Fcg) in the y and 0 in the x?

I'd do something similar for C & D? But it gets more complex if A & B don't have the same y value? Then I would start getting forces in the x direction?

I think the first thing I need to do is figure out the correct way to model my problem before I can solve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I understand your diagram. No doubt you are hoping that we can understand what you "mean" because an accurate diagram with all the necessary labels would be tedious. So, here I will tell you what my interpretation is, and if it does not match your intent, then let me know:

There are six "blocks". Each block has a circle drawn roughly in the middle, which represents the CG of that block. All of the blocks are attached consecutively, but you only had the patience to draw one set of connections, C and D, which is your paradigm for connecting the speakers. So, A and B must support the weight of the entire chain (all five speakers and the the platform at the top). There are two connections that hold the 5-speaker chain to the platform (no shown). C and D hold the bottom 4 speakers to the top speaker. Etc. The shape of the chain as you have represented it is static.

OK, so here's my analysis. The way you've drawn the connections suggests that the forces are entirely vertical. That is, A and B experience entirely vertical forces due to tensions in two vertical cables (connected to the ceiling). C and D experience approximately vertical forces due to two approximately vertically alligned brackets. And so on. So, you do need to consider torque, if you want to know how the force is dsitributed between the two connections. As an approximation, you should be able to set the x-components of all forces to zero. Then, you have two conditions to satisfy: the y-components of all forces acting on a body must add up to zero, and the torques acting on a body must add up to zero.

Your interpretation of my diagram is correct. As the array curves backwards, the connectors will become less vertically aligned. Until now, I've been ignoring torque. I'll incorporating torque into my calculations and I'll see where that gets me.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is a force on a rigid body?

A force on a rigid body is a push or pull that acts on an object, causing it to accelerate or deform. It can be described as a vector quantity with a magnitude and direction.

2. What are the types of forces that can act on a rigid body?

The types of forces that can act on a rigid body include gravity, normal force, tension, friction, and applied forces from external sources.

3. How do you calculate the net force on a rigid body?

The net force on a rigid body is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on the body. This can be done by using vector addition, where forces in the same direction are added and forces in opposite directions are subtracted.

4. What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced force on a rigid body?

A balanced force on a rigid body means that all the forces acting on the body are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. An unbalanced force means that there is a net force acting on the body, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How do forces on a rigid body affect its motion?

Forces on a rigid body can cause it to accelerate, decelerate, change direction, or deform. The resulting motion of the body depends on the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on it and the mass and shape of the body.