Uniform Magnetic field in a circular coil

In summary, a 138 turn circular coil with a diameter of 2.00 cm and resistance of 53.0 Ω is placed perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 1.00 T. When the direction of the field is suddenly reversed, the total charge that passes through the coil, the average current in the coil, and the average emf in the coil can be calculated using the solenoid equations. The average change in flux over the time period through the coil gives the average emf, and using V=IR, the current can be found. Finally, since I= dq/dt, the total charge through the wire can be determined.
hitman0097
A 138 turn circular coil has a diameter of 2.00 cm and resistance of 53.0 Ω. The plane of the coil is perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 1.00 T. The direction of the field is suddenly reversed.

a.) Find the total charge that passes through the coil.
b.) If the reversal takes 0.100 s, find the average current in the coil.
c.) Find the average emf in the coil.

I am using stuff for a solenoid is that the same as a circular coil?
l=lenght
n= # of turns per unit length
N=n*l total # of turns
A=π*r^2
Magnetic Flux=B*A (threw one turn)
B=mu_0*n*I (magnetic field inside solenoid)
Inductance=((N*(B*A))/I)=mu_0*n^2*A*l
E=IR

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions ?

Physics news on Phys.org
mu_0= 4pi*10^-7

The questions seem to be listed in the reverse of the sensible order. Indeed you can use the solenoid equations on the circular current loop(this is what a solenoid is). First find the average change in flux over the time period through the coil. That gives you that average EMF, then V=IR gives you the current. Since I= dq/dt you can find then find the total charge through the wire.

Last edited:

1. What is a uniform magnetic field in a circular coil?

A uniform magnetic field in a circular coil refers to a consistent and evenly distributed magnetic field that is created by a circular coil of wire. This type of magnetic field is commonly used in electromagnets and can be controlled by varying the current in the coil.

2. How is a uniform magnetic field created in a circular coil?

A uniform magnetic field in a circular coil is created by passing an electrical current through the coil of wire. The current produces a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the coil, resulting in a uniform and circular magnetic field.

3. What are the applications of a uniform magnetic field in a circular coil?

A uniform magnetic field in a circular coil has many practical applications. It can be used in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, and many other devices that require a controlled magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of a uniform magnetic field in a circular coil vary?

The strength of a uniform magnetic field in a circular coil depends on several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the coil, and the radius of the coil. Generally, the strength of the magnetic field increases with the number of turns and current, and decreases with the radius of the coil.

5. Can a uniform magnetic field in a circular coil be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the strength and direction of a uniform magnetic field in a circular coil can be changed or adjusted by varying the current in the coil. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the magnetic field for different applications.