Two piston or 4 piston engine

In summary, the number of cylinders and capacity are not the only factors that determine the power and speed of a bike. Other factors such as tuning, gearing, size, weight, and even the color of the bike can also play a role. Additionally, while 2 stroke engines are generally more powerful than 4 stroke engines, there are exceptions to this rule. Ultimately, the power and speed of a bike depend on a variety of factors and cannot be determined solely by the number of cylinders or engine capacity.
otomanb
suppose a bike which has 2 piston engine and other is 4 piston. which one is most powerful?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on the capacity of the cylinders - you can build high power 2 cylinders and low power 4 cylinders.

Other than that it's a design decision.
2 cylinders are smaller and simpler, 4 cylinders allows a smaller capacity/cylinder so they can move faster and so rev higher.

Bikes painted red are always faster than bikes painted yellow.

brewnog said:
Unless the yellow ones have noisier exhausts

Code:

what is the reason behind that?

let me explain in different manner,
A bike of 100CC with 4 stroke engine
a bike of 100 cc with 2 stroke engine

Now which will be more powerful and fast

otomanb said:
Code:

what is the reason behind that?let me explain in different manner,

The one where the driver only ate half his burger for lunch.

It's a totally pointless question, as it relies on so much more than how many cylinders it has. Tuning, gearing, size, weight etc etc etc.

xxChrisxx said:
The one where the driver only ate half his burger for lunch.

It's a totally pointless question, as it relies on so much more than how many cylinders it has. Tuning, gearing, size, weight etc etc etc.

Indeed, there are far many more variables than number of cylinders and capacity, making yours an impossible question to answer (hence my comment about colour). If you have a quick look round here there are some excellent posts on all the things which go into engine power output and vehicle speed.

otomanb said:
let me explain in different manner,

2 stroke engines are generally more powerful than 4 stroke engines...

Oh, I really fail. I'm sorry OP you changed and clarifired the question, but I just read it as 2 cylinder 100cc not 2 stroke.

2 strokes are more powerful becuase each cylinder fires every crank revolution, as opposed to firing once every 720 deg in a 4 stroke. EDIT: In general.

Last edited:
But it's a generalisation, there are plenty of four stroke engines more powerful than two strokes of the same capacity.

The answer is: "It depends".

1. What is the difference between a two piston and four piston engine?

A two piston engine has two pistons that move up and down in the cylinders, while a four piston engine has four pistons. This means that a four piston engine has more power and can generate more torque compared to a two piston engine.

2. Which type of engine is more fuel efficient?

Generally, a two piston engine is more fuel efficient compared to a four piston engine. This is because a two piston engine has fewer moving parts and requires less fuel to operate.

3. What are the advantages of a four piston engine?

A four piston engine has more power and can generate more torque, which makes it suitable for high-performance vehicles. It also has a smoother operation compared to a two piston engine.

4. Are two piston engines more reliable than four piston engines?

Both types of engines can be equally reliable, as it depends on the design and maintenance of the engine. However, a four piston engine has more moving parts, which may increase the chances of mechanical failures.

5. Which type of engine is more commonly used?

Two piston engines are more commonly used in smaller vehicles and equipment, such as motorcycles and lawnmowers. Four piston engines are typically used in larger vehicles, such as cars and trucks, and in high-performance vehicles.