Finding the sum and quotient of 2 natural domains

In summary, when finding the natural domains of functions, we must consider the restrictions for each individual function and then find the intersection of their separate domains. When it comes to multiplication and division, we must also exclude any points where the denominator is equal to 0.
Charismaztex

Homework Statement

3. (a) Let [itex]f(x) = ln(x^2-1)[/itex], and [itex]g(x)=\frac{x}{\sqrt{2-x}}[/tex]

(i) Find the natural domains of [tex]f, g, f + g, \frac{f}{g}, and \frac{g}{f}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the natural domain of f(x) is x belongs to real numbers and that x greater than 1 and less than -1 (ln(0) and ln(-ve no.) is undefined). The natural domain of g(x) is that x belongs real numbers and that x cannot be 2.

My question is: what are the rules for manipulation of the domains? Do we simply combine the natural domains, and what about the quotient of 2 natural domains?

Thanks in advance,
Charismaztex

Physics news on Phys.org
Charismaztex said:

Homework Statement

3. (a) Let [itex]f(x) = ln(x^2-1)[/itex], and [itex]g(x)=\frac{x}{\sqrt{2-x}}[/tex]

(i) Find the natural domains of [tex]f, g, f + g, \frac{f}{g}, and \frac{g}{f}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the natural domain of f(x) is x belongs to real numbers and that x greater than 1 and less than -1 (ln(0) and ln(-ve no.) is undefined). The natural domain of g(x) is that x belongs real numbers and that x cannot be 2.
x cannot be greater than or equal to 2.

In order that we be able to add, subtract, or multiply f(x) and g(x), both must be defined. That means that the domain of f+g, f- g or fg is the intersection of their separate domains. In order that we bae able to divide f by g, we must also exclude points where g(x)= 0 and vice versa for g/f.

My question is: what are the rules for manipulation of the domains? Do we simply combine the natural domains, and what about the quotient of 2 natural domains?

Thanks in advance,
Charismaztex

1. What is the definition of a natural domain?

A natural domain is a set of all positive whole numbers, including zero.

2. How do you find the sum of two natural domains?

To find the sum of two natural domains, simply add the two numbers together. For example, the sum of 3 and 5 would be 3+5=8.

3. What is the quotient of two natural domains?

The quotient of two natural domains is the result of dividing one number by the other. For example, the quotient of 10 and 2 would be 10÷2=5.

4. Can the sum or quotient of two natural domains be a decimal or fraction?

No, the sum and quotient of two natural domains will always be a whole number. Natural domains do not include decimals or fractions.

5. How are natural domains useful in scientific calculations?

Natural domains are useful in scientific calculations because they represent a set of numbers that can be used to model real-life situations and make predictions. They are also used in many fundamental equations and concepts in science.