Wireless Communication using OFDM

In summary, the speaker is looking to design a project similar to a wireless video transmission using OFDM. They have basic knowledge of signals and systems and are currently reading a book on communication for fun. They are asking for guidance on what they need to know before attempting this project and mention using recent Physics Forums threads as a resource.
paymaansyed
Hello everyone,

My aim is to design a project similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5Bp1Jbm0s&feature=related

However, I only have basic knowledge of signals and system since I'm a 2nd year EE undergrad.
These days, I'm reading Analog and Digital Communication by Lathi just for fun.

Can anyone tell me what will it take for me to design such a project as given in the video? It's basically wireless video transmission using OFDM.

I would really appreciate if anyone can provide a detailed answer of what do I need to know before going for such a project.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Several recent PF threads may help.

Use this PF search https://www.physicsforums.com/search/32970/?q=odfm&o=date

1. What is OFDM?

OFDM stands for Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing. It is a digital modulation technique used in wireless communication to transmit large amounts of data over a channel by splitting the data into multiple subcarriers, each carrying a smaller amount of data. These subcarriers are orthogonal to each other, meaning they do not interfere with each other, allowing for efficient data transmission.

2. How does OFDM work?

OFDM works by dividing a high-speed data stream into multiple lower-speed streams and modulating them onto different subcarriers. These subcarriers are then transmitted simultaneously, making use of the available bandwidth. At the receiving end, the subcarriers are demodulated and the original data stream is reconstructed.

3. What are the advantages of OFDM?

OFDM has several advantages, including high spectral efficiency, resistance to multipath fading, and the ability to handle high data rates. Its use of multiple subcarriers also allows for efficient use of available spectrum, making it ideal for wireless communication where bandwidth is limited.

4. What are the applications of OFDM?

OFDM is used in a variety of applications, including Wi-Fi, 4G and 5G cellular networks, digital television broadcasting, and satellite communication. It is also commonly used in digital subscriber line (DSL) internet connections and is being explored for use in wireless sensor networks and smart grid systems.

5. What are the limitations of OFDM?

While OFDM has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One major limitation is its sensitivity to frequency and phase synchronization errors, which can lead to inter-carrier interference and reduce the overall performance of the system. OFDM is also vulnerable to channel noise and interference, which can affect the quality of the received signal.