Solving the Unsolvable: Two Ball Problem

• Thread starter saiyajin822
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two balls being thrown at different speeds and directions, and finding the distance at which they pass each other. The participants suggest using kinematic equations for uniform acceleration and setting the equations equal to each other to find the time at which the balls meet. The final answer is -10m, but there is confusion about the sign convention and proper use of equations.
saiyajin822
ive been having difficulty with this problem also:

A ball is thrown downward with an initial speed of 25m/s from the top of a 210 m tall building. At the same time, another ball is thrown upward from ground level with a speed of 25m/s. At what distance from the bottom of the two balls pass each other?

the answer is supposed to be "-10 m so it is illogical."
so far i know that for the first ball Vi=25m/s d=210m a=9.8m/s^2

2nd ball Vi=25n/s d=? a=-9.8m/s^2

are we supposed to set the distance of each of the balls equal?? i really have no idea how to do this :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the position as a function of time for each of the balls then set them equal to find the time at which they meet.

I got 18.56 m.

Find a equation for each ball in function of distance and equal them.Look up Kinematic Equations for Uniform Acceleration, here the acceleration is Gravity (might want to look up Free Fall, too).

so the equation would be (25m/s)(t)+1/2(9.8)t^2=(25m/s)(t)+1/2(-9.8)t^2?
(1st ball and 2nd ball respectively)
what do i do with the 210 m?

btw, my teacher gave us an answer sheet and the answer is -10m

Last edited:
Saiyan... Stick to your Sign Convention... if put down and left is negative and up and right is positive, then this should affect the systems you're studying, i see a positive acceleration for one and a negative for another.

I also noticed improper use of the equation.

[tex] Y - Y_{o} = V_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

where, Yo, Vo and a is known.

that is the equation i used: d=Vi(t)+1/2a(t)^2

saiyajin822 said:
that is the equation i used: d=Vi(t)+1/2a(t)^2

For this problem you'll have to use it with Y - Yo.

Y-Yo? i only see one y and that's 210m

1. What is the Two Ball Problem?

The Two Ball Problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves two identical balls of different colors and a set of scales. The objective is to determine which of the two balls is heavier using the scales only twice.

2. Why is the Two Ball Problem considered unsolvable?

The Two Ball Problem is considered unsolvable because it cannot be solved using traditional mathematical equations or formulas. It requires thinking outside the box and using creative problem-solving skills.

3. Is there a solution to the Two Ball Problem?

Yes, there is a solution to the Two Ball Problem. However, it is not a straightforward solution and may require multiple attempts and creative thinking to arrive at the correct answer.

4. How can I approach solving the Two Ball Problem?

The best approach to solving the Two Ball Problem is to break it down into smaller parts and think logically. Start by considering all the possible combinations and eliminate those that do not provide any useful information. Then, try to come up with a strategy that uses both weighings effectively.

5. Can the Two Ball Problem be solved using a computer or calculator?

No, the Two Ball Problem cannot be solved using a computer or calculator as it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, traditional mathematical equations or algorithms cannot be used to solve this problem. It must be approached using creative and unconventional methods.