Angular velocity of a spherical capacitor

Your name]In summary, a spherical capacitor placed in a homogeneous magnetic field and allowed to rotate freely will reach a steady-state angular velocity due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the charges on its surface. Using Faraday's law and the relationship between angular momentum and torque, we can find the steady-state angular velocity.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

A spherical capacitor made out of two concentric conducting shells of radii a
and b is placed in homogeneous magnetic field H0, and is allowed to rotate freely (without friction) around the axis parallel to this magnetic field. Initially, there are charges Q
Q− /Q+ , on the surfaces of capacitor. What will be the steady-state angular velocity of this capacitor, if its moment of inertia is I? Assume that discharging of capacitor occurs without external forces.

Homework Equations

L=I*omega, where omega = angular velocity
Maxwell's equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sooo confused by this problem. The shells are conducting, and the way the problem is worded seems to indicate that the capacitor is discharging, so obviously charges are free to move. First of all, I can see no reason why this sphere would begin spinning... but fine, let's just imagine that I somehow got it started. The charges moving around would resemble a current in the phi direction. And there would be some sort of induced magnetic field. Maybe I could think of this as some sort of inductance problem... if I could find the current in one shell I could try to compute the magnetic flux through the other shell. But I'm perplexed as to what's physically happening and where to even begin. If I had some starting point maybe I could find the force on the capacitor, a sort of F = q v x B thing, and from that, find v, and from that, omega and hence the angular momentum... but I don't know where to begin! Help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is understandable that this problem may seem confusing at first, but with some careful analysis, we can find a solution. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, let's consider the initial state of the capacitor. Since it is placed in a homogeneous magnetic field, there will be a force acting on the charges on the surface of the capacitor, causing them to move. This movement will create a current in the phi direction, as you correctly mentioned. This current will in turn create a magnetic field, which will interact with the external magnetic field. This interaction will result in a torque on the capacitor, causing it to start rotating.

Next, let's consider the discharging of the capacitor. As the charges move around, they will eventually reach a steady state, where the rate of charge transfer (discharging) is equal to the rate of charge accumulation. In this steady state, the current in the phi direction will also reach a steady state, and the torque on the capacitor will be constant. This means that the angular velocity, omega, will also reach a steady state.

Now, let's apply Maxwell's equations to this situation. We can use Faraday's law, which states that the induced electric field is equal to the negative of the time rate of change of the magnetic flux. In this case, the magnetic flux through the capacitor will be changing due to the rotation of the capacitor. Using this equation, we can find the induced electric field, which will in turn give us the current in the phi direction.

Finally, we can use the relationship L=I*omega to find the steady-state angular velocity, where L is the angular momentum and I is the moment of inertia. We know the moment of inertia from the given information, and we can calculate the angular momentum from the torque and the time it takes for the capacitor to reach the steady state.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better and gives you a starting point for finding a solution. Don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed. Good luck!

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a central point. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is Angular Velocity different from Linear Velocity?

Angular velocity involves the rotation of an object around a central axis, while linear velocity involves the movement of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in terms of angles, while linear velocity is measured in terms of distance traveled over time.

3. How is Angular Velocity of a Spherical Capacitor Calculated?

The angular velocity of a spherical capacitor can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time taken for the displacement to occur. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the angular displacement, and Δt is the time interval.

4. What Factors Affect the Angular Velocity of a Spherical Capacitor?

The angular velocity of a spherical capacitor can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the capacitor, the distance between the two plates, the charge on the plates, and the material of the plates. Additionally, any external forces or torques acting on the capacitor can also affect its angular velocity.

5. Why is Angular Velocity Important in the Study of Capacitors?

Angular velocity is important in the study of capacitors because it helps us understand the behavior of rotating capacitors, such as spherical capacitors. It also allows us to calculate other important quantities, such as the angular acceleration and angular momentum, which are essential in understanding the overall dynamics of the capacitor.