How do you expand algebraic expressions to the nth power?

In summary, the person is 40 years old and learning calculus for the first time through personal study. They are seeking help understanding how to differentiate y=x^n and have provided examples of expanded expressions. They are looking for a clear and simple explanation or external link for reference. A link to Wikipedia is provided and the person mentions they will also look into another resource for a clearer explanation.
WilliamK
I would like to start by saying that I'm not at school, I'm 40 years old, and learning calculus for the first time - personal, private study - so anyone helping me out won't be giving me the answers to any course work or school work. I don't have a teacher, and there's no one I can ask who can help me, so I've come to this forum hoping some kind soul can help me.

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand how to differentiate y=x^n, but I get stuck at the expansion stage

Homework Equations

In all cases, we are increasing y by a small amount (dy)

Example 1:
y+dy = (x+dx)^2
expanded out, it becomes: y+dy = x^2 + 2x.dx+(dx)2

Example 2:
y+dy = (x+dx)^3
expanded out, it becomes y+dy = x^3 + 3x^2.dx+3x(dx)^2+(dx)^3

Final Example:
y+dy = (x+dx)^4
expanded out, it becomes y+dy = x^4 + 4x^3dx+6x^2(dx)^2 + 4x(dx)^3 + (dx)^4

My calculus textbook assumes a knowledge I don't have.

Can someone please explain clearly & simply how one is supposed to derive these expanded expressions? Or even refer me to an external link which explains it?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia explains it nicely. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem" If you don't understand something there, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link, Sourabh, I'll take a look. (Its been 25 years since I last did algebra, and I'm not even sure if I covered binominal theorum at school, lol)

1. How do you find the coefficient of a specific term in an expanded algebraic expression?

To find the coefficient of a specific term in an expanded algebraic expression, you would first identify the term and its corresponding variable. Then, you would use the binomial theorem or the combination formula to determine the coefficient.

2. What is the difference between an expanded and factored algebraic expression?

An expanded algebraic expression is written in its simplest form, with all the terms multiplied out. A factored algebraic expression, on the other hand, is written as the product of its factors. In other words, it is simplified by grouping terms that have a common factor.

3. Can you expand an algebraic expression with negative exponents?

Yes, an algebraic expression can be expanded with negative exponents. You would use the laws of exponents to rewrite the expression with positive exponents before expanding it.

4. Is there a shortcut to expanding algebraic expressions to the nth power?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the binomial theorem. It states that for any expression (a + b)^n, the expanded form will have n+1 terms, with the coefficients following a specific pattern. This theorem can be used to quickly expand expressions to the nth power.

5. Why is expanding algebraic expressions to the nth power important?

Expanding algebraic expressions to the nth power is important because it allows us to simplify and manipulate expressions to solve equations and perform other mathematical operations. It also helps us understand the relationship between different terms in an expression and can be used to identify patterns and make predictions.