How many Higgsinos are there in the MSSM and what is their structure?

In summary: But that's not important for this discussion.So, we have 8 modes of charginos and 8 modes of neutralinos, meaning that there are 16 fermionic modes.The Higgses contribute 8 modes of bosonic and 8 modes of fermionic, so there are 32 modes.But note that the Higgsino modes contribute 8 modes of fermionic and 8 modes of bosonic, so they cancel out. Thus, the total number of bosonic and fermionic modes remains at 32, as expected from SUSY. In summary, the MSSM has 4 Higgsinos (2 charged and 2 neutral) which are Weyl fermions that mix with other ga
shirosato
Question 1: I am aware the Higgs lies in a chiral supermultiplet, but I realized I don't have an intuitive idea of

i) how many Higgsinos there are (since the MSSM has 2 complex isodoublets)
ii) how many Higgsinos there are after EWSB and you gauge away three of the scalar fields
iii) their structure (Weyl, Dirac, Majorana)

Question 2: Question 1 arose after I heard that the deeper reason the Higgs is protected from large corrections is due to chiral symmetry of the Higgsino. I thought a bit about it, and figured it had something to do with the Higgsino exhibiting chiral symmetry and SUSY enforcing mass degeneracy.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose wiki has a clear enough answer:

In particle physics, a Higgsino, symbol H͂, is the hypothetical superpartner of the Higgs boson, as predicted by supersymmetry. The Higgsino is a Dirac fermion and that is a weak isodoublet with hypercharge half under the Standard Model gauge symmetries. After electroweak symmetry breaking the Higgsino becomes a pair of neutral Majorana fermions called neutralinos and a charged Dirac fermion called a chargino (plus and minus).

I found illuminating to consider the mathematical case when supersymmetry is not broken but the W and Z bosons are massive. Then, even if you have not a Higgs-based symmetry breaking, each W and Z is forced to have another scalar and another -ino in its multiplet, because the composition of a massive N=1 vector supermultiplet is the same that a massless N=2, and it is the union of a N=1 massless vector supermultiplet plus a N=1 massless chiral supermultiplet.

That means that the Higgs mechanism of the MSSM only adds, really, a two component higgsino and two scalars, the other six scalars and their superpartners are compulsory.

shirosato said:
i) how many Higgsinos there are (since the MSSM has 2 complex isodoublets)

in the MSSM, there are 4 Higgsinos (2 charged and 2 neutral). They are Weyl fermions that mix with themselves as well as the other gauginos to form "Charginos" and "Neutralinos". It is these objects that are the observed fermions.

ii) how many Higgsinos there are after EWSB and you gauge away three of the scalar fields

There are always the same number of Higgsinos - only the scalar modes are Goldstone modes, the fermions are physical.

iii) their structure (Weyl, Dirac, Majorana)

See above.

Question 2: Question 1 arose after I heard that the deeper reason the Higgs is protected from large corrections is due to chiral symmetry of the Higgsino. I thought a bit about it, and figured it had something to do with the Higgsino exhibiting chiral symmetry and SUSY enforcing mass degeneracy.

Thanks!

The idea is that the Higgsino mass is protected by chiral symmetry; and that the Higgs mass is related to the Higgsino mass through Supersymmetry. Therefore, your statement.

So yes, your statement is more or less correct. Since SUSY is broken, the Higgs mass is not EXACTLY the same as the Higgsino mass, but they are at least forced to be the same order of magnitude, so long as SUSY is "softly broken" as it is in the MSSM (that is, broken only by superrenormalizable operators). Hence the hierarchy problem is still solved even after susy breaking.

Hope that helps!

Let's count modes for MSSM electroweak particles. The Higgses are Wess-Zumino multiplets, meaning that the Higgsinos are chiral.

WIS = weak isospin

W: (helicity: 2) * (WIS triplet: 3) = 6
B: (helicity: 2) = 2
Higgs: (complex: 2) * (WIS doublet: 2) * (u,d: 2) = 8

Wino: same as W
Bino: same as B
Higgsino: complex -> helicity, otherwise same as Higgs

There are 16 bosonic modes and 16 fermionic modes, as one expects from SUSY.

Now the broken version:

W: (helicity: 3) * (charge: 2) = 6
Z: (helicity: 3) = 3
photon: (helicity: 2) = 2
Higgs neutral: (mass states: 3) = 3
Higgs charged: (charge: 2) = 2
Sum: 16
Charged: 8
Neutral: 8

Wino charged: (helicity: 2) * (charge: 2) = 4
Wino neutral: (helicity: 2)
Bino: (helicity: 2)
Higgsino charged: (helicity: 2) * (charge: 2) = 4
Higgsino neutral: (helicity: 2) * (mass states: 2) = 4

Chargino: (helicity: 2) * (charge: 2) * (mass states: 2) = 8
Neutralino: (helicity: 2) * (mass states: 4) = 8

Thus,
Charginos are Dirac fermions (4 states) with 2 mass states
Neutralinos are non-Dirac fermions (2 states) with 4 mass states

The charginos are Dirac fermions, while I think that the neutralinos are Majorana ones.

1. What are Higgsinos and how do they relate to chiral symmetry?

Higgsinos are hypothetical particles predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. They are partners to the Higgs boson and are thought to be responsible for giving mass to other particles. Chiral symmetry refers to a type of symmetry in particle physics that relates to the spin and direction of a particle's motion. Higgsinos are important for chiral symmetry because their interactions with other particles are believed to play a role in breaking this symmetry.

2. How are Higgsinos different from other particles?

Higgsinos are different from other particles in that they are fermions, which means they have half-integer spin. This is in contrast to bosons, which have integer spin. Additionally, Higgsinos are electrically neutral, unlike particles such as electrons and quarks which have electric charge.

3. Do we have any evidence for the existence of Higgsinos?

At this time, we do not have direct evidence for the existence of Higgsinos. They have not yet been observed in experiments, but their existence is predicted by the Standard Model and they are an important part of many theories in particle physics.

4. How do scientists study Higgsinos?

Scientists study Higgsinos by looking for their potential effects in high-energy particle collisions. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand how Higgsinos may interact with other particles. Additionally, scientists are constantly searching for new experimental techniques and technologies that may help us better understand these elusive particles.

5. Are there any potential applications for Higgsinos in technology?

Currently, there are no known applications for Higgsinos in technology. However, their discovery and understanding could potentially lead to new breakthroughs and advancements in the field of particle physics and beyond. Many scientists believe that studying Higgsinos and other particles may eventually lead to new technologies and innovations that we can't even imagine yet.