Solving Planet A's Semi-Major Axis Ratio To Planet B's

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the ratio of the size of Planet A's semi-major axis to that of Planet B in a solar system where Planet A never gets further than 16 degrees from the star. The suggested approach involves sketching a star and the orbits of the two planets, using trigonometry, and considering the possibility of elliptical orbits. The difficulty increases when the orbits are elliptical and not aligned.
zeromaxxx

Homework Statement

You are one of the first astronomers in a civilization on Planet B in another solar system. With your unaided eye, you follow planet A in the same solar system and note that it never gets further away than 16 degrees from the star (around which both planets orbit).

What is the ratio of the size of Planet A's semi-major axis
to that of Planet B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to have trouble visualizing this scenario and so I don't know how to approach the problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch a star and the orbits of two planets in circular motion. With such a small angle, we must be on the planet of the larger circle; mark its position anywhere on the circle. Mark the points where the inner planet will appear furthest away from the star. With a bit of trigonometry you should be able to find the answer.

Would it be sin(16) = Ra/Rb
I know that gives that the ratio of the radius' but I'm not to sure how to find the semi-major axis

For circular orbits, the radius IS the semi-major axis.
Perhaps the use of the term implies you are to consider elliptical orbits. I suspect that would result in the same answer.

Delphi51 said:
For circular orbits, the radius IS the semi-major axis.
Perhaps the use of the term implies you are to consider elliptical orbits. I suspect that would result in the same answer.

It gets quite a bit more complicated when the orbits are elliptical and the perihelion directions are not aligned (the major axes are not collinear). Mutual distance plays a big role in the observed angular size, and the "width" of the orbit varies with viewing angle.

1. What is the significance of calculating the semi-major axis ratio between two planets?

The semi-major axis ratio is a measure of the distance between two planets in their elliptical orbits around a shared center of mass. This calculation can provide valuable information about the dynamics and interactions between the two planets.

2. How is the semi-major axis ratio calculated?

The semi-major axis ratio is calculated by dividing the semi-major axis of one planet by the semi-major axis of the other planet. The semi-major axis is the longest radius of an ellipse, which represents the average distance of a planet from its parent star.

3. Why is it important to accurately solve for the semi-major axis ratio?

Accurately solving for the semi-major axis ratio can help us better understand the gravitational forces and stability of a planetary system. It can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of the planets in that system.

4. How do scientists use the semi-major axis ratio to study exoplanets?

By calculating the semi-major axis ratio, scientists can determine the relative sizes and distances of exoplanets within a planetary system. This can help identify potential habitable zones and inform future research into potential life on other planets.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the semi-major axis ratio?

The accuracy of the semi-major axis ratio calculation can be affected by factors such as observational errors, gravitational perturbations from other planets or objects in the system, and errors in our understanding of the orbits and masses of the planets.