Difference between Electric flux density,electric field strength .

In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between electric flux density and electric field strength, as well as the confusion surrounding magnetic fields, flux, flux density, and field strength. It was concluded that magnetic field strength (H) is the same as magnetic flux density (B), and that some books use the term "strength" to distinguish between H and B. The units for these measurements were also defined.
sachin123
Difference between Electric flux density,electric field strength...

I want to know the difference between,electric flux density and electric field strength.Are they the same?
And also,there is a magnetic field(measured in Tesla),magnetic flux(in Weber),magnetic flux density(Weber per m2),magnetic field strength(measured in Tesla again?).
I am finding these very confusing.Can someone clear this out?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sachin123! :smile:

from the pf library on flux …
In electromagnetism, flux always means total flow through a surface (a scalar), and is measured in webers (magnetic flux) or volt-metres (electric flux).

Flux is the amount of a vector field going through a surface: it is the integral (over the surface) of the normal component of the field​

flux density (btw, this is density per area, not per volume) is the same as the field …

flux = ∫ field "dot" area, so field = flux per area = flux density …

tesla = weber/metre2 :wink:

(and "strength" just means "amount" …

you can leave it out when writing, and ignore it when reading :wink:)​

I am clear with Electric field strength(=electric flux density) and electric flux.

1.)Does it mean that magnetic field strength=magnetic flux density?

and...
from what you said,
magnetic field strength = magnetic field.But,here is what my book says:
Magnetic field strength (H)=B/[tex]\mu[/tex]
where B is magnetic flux density.
Now weren't they supposed to be the same?(magnetic flux density and Magnetic field strength)

Last edited:
sachin123 said:
But,here is what my book says:
Magnetic field strength (H)=B/[tex]\mu[/tex]
where B is magnetic flux density.
Now weren't they supposed to be the same?(magnetic flux density and Magnetic field strength)

ah, i see …

your book is calling H (in amps per metre) the magnetic field strength …

i haven't come across that before …

i've seen magnetic field intensity for H, but not strength :redface:

oh, in that case forget what i said about ignoring the word "strength": clearly some books are using it to distinguish H from B (in webers per metre squared)

(but the best way to distinguish them is to call them the H-field and the B-field :wink:)

So,to conclude it,

magnetic flux is number of magnetic lines passing through surface area...
unit:weber

magnetic flux density is number of magnetic lines passing through unit surface area...
unit:weber per (m square)

magnetic field is same as magnetic flux density

magnetic field strength =magnetic field intensity is H =B/(mu)
unit:A per m

Is it correct?:smile:

Last edited:

'mu' i meant as [tex]\mu[/tex]

What is the difference between electric flux density and electric field strength?

Electric flux density, also known as electric displacement, is a measure of the electric field that passes through a given area. It is denoted by the symbol D and is measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m^2). On the other hand, electric field strength is a measure of the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge at a given point in an electric field. It is denoted by the symbol E and is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

How are electric flux density and electric field strength related?

The relationship between electric flux density and electric field strength is given by the formula D = εE, where ε is the permittivity of the medium. This means that the electric flux density is directly proportional to the electric field strength. In other words, an increase in electric field strength will result in a corresponding increase in electric flux density.

Which one is a vector quantity, electric flux density or electric field strength?

Both electric flux density and electric field strength are vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude and direction. The direction of these vectors is determined by the direction of the electric field at a given point. However, electric flux density is a pseudo vector, meaning its direction can be reversed by a parity inversion, while electric field strength is a true vector.

Why do we use both electric flux density and electric field strength?

Electric flux density and electric field strength are both important concepts in the study of electricity. Electric flux density is useful for calculating the total amount of electric flux passing through a given area, while electric field strength is useful for determining the force experienced by a test charge at a given point. Using both quantities allows us to better understand and analyze electric fields and their effects on charges.

How do electric flux density and electric field strength change in different mediums?

Electric flux density and electric field strength both depend on the permittivity of the medium they are passing through. In a vacuum, where the permittivity is equal to the permittivity of free space (ε0), the value of electric flux density and electric field strength will be the same. However, in other mediums, the permittivity may be different, resulting in different values for electric flux density and electric field strength. Generally, the higher the permittivity, the lower the electric field strength and the higher the electric flux density.