Finding Range of Weak Interaction from Mass of Z Boson

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dimensional analysis and Yukawa potential to find the range of the weak interaction, specifically in relation to the Z boson's mass of 91 GeV/c^2. The use of dimensional analysis involves relating mass and length through energy and wavelength, while the Yukawa potential can be used to determine the distance at which the potential decreases by half.
div4200

Homework Statement

One of the mediators of the weak interactions is the Z boson, which has a mass of 91 GeV/c

Use this information to find an approximate value for the range of the weak interaction.

Homework Equations

This is the part that I am having trouble with. I don't know where to look for information about this, and it doesn't seem to be in my book. All I ask is that someone point me to a resource where I can read about that topic. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance!

The Attempt at a Solution

(see above)

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to approach the problem is just by dimensional analysis. What length scale corresponds to the mass? A better way, which gives essentially the same answer is to determine the corresponding Yukawa potential http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukawa_potential for Z-boson exchange.

Thanks. But I'm still somewhat confused. How can mass and length be related using dimensional analysis?

I also read the article about Yukawa potential, but I'm not sure how to use it. I would think that you would set V = 0 , but that yields the solution r = ∞, which cannot be right.

Thanks.

I just thought of something. What if I do,

E = mc2 = hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

And so:

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = h/(mc)

Plugging in the following values:

h = 4.13566733 * 10-15 eV*s
c = 2.99792458 * 108 m/s
m = 9.1 * 109 eV/c2

I get

[tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]\approx[/tex] 1.4 * 10-16 m

Is that correct? Thanks a lot.

div4200 said:
Thanks. But I'm still somewhat confused. How can mass and length be related using dimensional analysis?

Any mass is related to an energy by multiplying by [tex]c^2[/tex]. Any energy is inversely related to a length by a factor of [tex]\hbar c[/tex]. For instance, the relation between energy and wavelength of a photon is

[tex]\lambda = \frac{\hbar c}{E}.[/tex]

I also read the article about Yukawa potential, but I'm not sure how to use it. I would think that you would set V = 0 , but that yields the solution r = ∞, which cannot be right.

Thanks.

You would be better off asking a question like: over what distance does the potential decrease by half? Be sure to avoid choosing [tex]r=0[/tex] or [tex]r=\infty[/tex] as reference points.

Ah I think I see now. So my method was correct, then?

And isn't your h-bar actually supposed to be h since E = hv?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the range of weak interaction using the mass of the Z boson?

The weak interaction is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for radioactive decay and nuclear reactions. By determining the range of this force, we can gain a better understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles and the structure of matter.

2. How is the mass of the Z boson related to the range of weak interaction?

The mass of the Z boson is directly proportional to the range of the weak interaction. This is because the Z boson is the carrier particle of this force, and its mass determines how far the weak force can act before becoming too weak to have any significant effect.

3. What is the current accepted value for the range of weak interaction from the mass of the Z boson?

The current accepted value for the range of weak interaction is approximately 10^-18 meters, which is about 1/1000th the size of a proton. This value has been confirmed by several experiments, including the Large Hadron Collider.

4. How is the range of weak interaction determined from the mass of the Z boson?

The range of weak interaction is determined through theoretical calculations and experimental data. Theoretical models, such as the Standard Model, predict the relationship between the mass of the Z boson and the range of the weak force. Experimental data from particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, are used to validate these predictions and refine our understanding of the weak interaction.

5. Is there any ongoing research or experiments related to the range of weak interaction?

Yes, there is ongoing research and experiments related to the range of weak interaction. Scientists are constantly trying to improve our understanding of the weak force and its range by conducting experiments at particle colliders and developing new theoretical models. Additionally, the search for new particles, such as the Higgs boson, can also provide valuable insights into the range of the weak interaction.