Find the area enclosed by the curve (parametric equation)

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary, the conversation is about finding the area enclosed by the parametric curve x = t^2 - 2t, y = t^(1/2) around the y axis. The individual is struggling with determining the correct bounds of integration and realizes that they made a mistake in integrating. They re-evaluate their approach and are able to solve the problem.
vande060

Homework Statement

I don't really have a problem with integration here, I just need to learn how to decide what direction the integration should be in

find the area enclosed by the curve x = t2 - 2t y = t1/2 around the y axis

Homework Equations

A = ∫ xdy

The Attempt at a Solution

so when i plug values into the parametric equations i find that this graph comes out of the origin at y = 0 then crosses the axis again at 21/2

I feel like my bound of integration should be from 0 to 21/2, but I get a negative area, so I probably should reverse the bounds, but I can't rationalize the reversal.

A = from 0 to 21/2 ∫ (t2 - 2t)t1/2 dt

= from 0 to 21/2 ( 4/5 *t5/2 - 4/3 * t3/2)

here i get 1.86 - 2.2, which is negative

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the graph?

sure it looks like this approx
Untitled-2.jpg

starting at t=0 there the curve is at the origin, and at point t = 2 the graph it at the point 0,21/2

so the bounds i used seemed right

the area should be negative; it is 'below' the y-axis.

there is one mistake that i can see. if y = t^(1/2), then dy = (1/2)*t^(-1/2) dt. you seem to have integrated xy instead of xdy.

eczeno said:
the area should be negative; it is 'below' the y-axis.

there is one mistake that i can see. if y = t^(1/2), then
dy = (1/2)*t^(-1/2) dt. you seem to have integrated xy instead of xdy.

that clears everything up thank you,

cheers

What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point on a curve or surface as functions of one or more parameters. This allows for a more flexible and efficient way to describe geometric objects compared to traditional Cartesian equations.

How do I find the area enclosed by a parametric curve?

To find the area enclosed by a parametric curve, you can use the formula A = ∫y dx or A = ∫x dy, where the integral is taken over the range of the parameter. This means you will need to find the bounds of the parameter by analyzing the equations and the given interval.

What if the given parametric equations do not have a closed form expression?

If the parametric equations do not have a closed form expression, it may be difficult to find the area using traditional methods. In this case, you can use numerical methods such as numerical integration or Monte Carlo simulation to approximate the area.

Can I use the same method to find the area for any type of parametric curve?

Yes, the same method can be used to find the area for any type of parametric curve as long as the equations are given in terms of a parameter. However, the bounds of the parameter and the integrand may vary depending on the specific curve.

Are there any other ways to find the area enclosed by a parametric curve?

Yes, there are other methods such as Green's theorem and the shoelace formula that can be used to find the area enclosed by a parametric curve. These methods may require additional knowledge or assumptions about the curve, but they can provide alternative approaches to finding the area.