Carrier injection in p-i-n diodes

However, solving for this relationship requires knowledge of the drift diffusion equations, which can be challenging. If anyone has insight on how to solve these equations, it would be greatly appreciated. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a p-i-n diode structure and the need to find a relationship between applied bias/current and the injected holes and electrons in the i region, which requires solving the drift diffusion equations.
InGaAsP
Hello all

I have a p-i-n diode structure. I am applying a forward bias to diode, so that holes from p region, and electrons from n region are injected inside the i region.
Now, I need to find a relationship between the applied bias/current vs the number of holes and electrons that are injected inside the i region.
The starting point is from the drift diffusion equations of P-N diode, but however, I am unable to figure out how to solve it.
Could anyone be kind enough to shed some light on this?

Thank you in advance

InGaAsP

Physics news on Phys.org
PIN diodes are semiconductor devices that use the injection of holes from a p-type region, and electrons from an n-type region, to create a current flow through an intrinsic (i-type) region. The current is a result of the drift of electrons and holes in the direction of the applied electric field. The current is also affected by the diffusion of the carriers, which is caused by the concentration gradient of the carriers. The current flowing through the diode can be expressed as a function of the applied voltage and the diffusion coefficient.

What is carrier injection in p-i-n diodes?

Carrier injection refers to the process of introducing electrons or holes into the intrinsic (i) region of a p-i-n diode. This is typically done by applying a forward bias voltage to the diode, which creates an electric field that pushes the majority carriers (electrons in an n-type region, holes in a p-type region) into the intrinsic region.

What is the purpose of carrier injection in p-i-n diodes?

The purpose of carrier injection is to create a region in the p-i-n diode where there is a high density of both electrons and holes. This allows for efficient recombination of the carriers, which is necessary for the diode to function as a light-emitting device or a photodetector.

How does carrier injection affect the current-voltage characteristics of a p-i-n diode?

Carrier injection changes the current-voltage characteristics of a p-i-n diode by reducing the depletion region and increasing the conductivity of the intrinsic region. This results in a decrease in the diode's forward voltage and an increase in its current carrying capacity.

What factors affect carrier injection in p-i-n diodes?

The amount of carrier injection in a p-i-n diode is influenced by several factors, including the forward bias voltage, the doping concentration of the different regions, the width of the intrinsic region, and the recombination rate of the carriers.

How does carrier injection vary between different types of p-i-n diodes?

Carrier injection can vary between different types of p-i-n diodes, such as homojunction and heterojunction diodes, due to differences in the materials used and the interface between the different regions. For example, heterojunction diodes may have higher carrier injection capabilities due to the presence of a wider bandgap material in the intrinsic region.