Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices

In summary, L_b(a) can be found as L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a) because a pure boost in the direction that makes an angle a with the x-axis in the xy plane is equivalent to a rotation of the entire coordinate system by -a, followed by a standard boost along the new x-axis, and then followed by a rotation back to the original coordinate system by a. This is known as the "boost-rotation-boost" method, and it can be proven using the associative property of matrix multiplication.
gnulinger

Homework Statement

Let L_b(a) denote the 4x4 matrix that gives a pure boost in the direction that makes an angle a with the x-axis in the xy plane. Explain why this can be found as L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), where L_r(a) denotes the matrix that rotates the xy plane through the angle a and L_b(0) is the standard boost along the x axis.

Homework Equations

L_r(a) = {{cos(a), sin(a), 0 , 0}, {-sin(a), cos(a), 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}
L_r(-a) = {{cos(a), -sin(a), 0 , 0}, {sin(a), cos(a), 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}
L_b(0) = {{gamma, 0, 0, -gamma*beta}, {0, 1, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {-gamma*beta, 0, 0, gamma}}

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally, to get a boost-plus-rotation we use L_b(a) = L_r(a)*L_b(0)
If L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), then it should be true that
L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a) = L_r(a)*L_b(0)

I tried to show that this last equation was true by going through the long matrix calculations, but I get that the two sides of the equation are not equal. I can't find any errors in my arithmetic, so I'm assuming there's something wrong with my reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question. I can explain why L_b(a) can be found as L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a). This is because a pure boost in the direction that makes an angle a with the x-axis in the xy plane is equivalent to a rotation of the entire coordinate system by -a, followed by a standard boost along the new x-axis, and then followed by a rotation back to the original coordinate system by a. This is known as the "boost-rotation-boost" method.

To understand this concept, let's look at the individual matrices involved. L_r(-a) is a rotation matrix that rotates the xy plane by -a, which is equivalent to rotating the entire coordinate system by -a. Then, L_b(0) is a standard boost along the new x-axis, which is now rotated by -a. Finally, L_r(a) is a rotation matrix that rotates the entire coordinate system back to its original position. This results in a pure boost in the direction that makes an angle a with the x-axis in the original coordinate system.

To prove that L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a) = L_r(a)*L_b(0), we can use the fact that matrix multiplication is associative. This means that (AB)C = A(BC). Therefore, we can rearrange the order of the matrices without changing the result. In this case, we can write L_b(a) = (L_r(-a)*L_b(0))*L_r(a) = L_r(-a)*(L_b(0)*L_r(a)). Since L_b(0)*L_r(a) is equivalent to L_b(a), we can replace it with L_b(a) in the equation to get L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(a). This is the same as the original equation, L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), proving that they are indeed equal.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why L_b(a) can be found using the boost-rotation-boost method. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What are Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices?

Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices are mathematical operations used in the theory of relativity to describe the transformation of coordinates and physical quantities between different frames of reference. They are used to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity and can also be used in general relativity to describe the rotation and orientation of objects in curved spacetime.

2. How are Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices related?

Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices are related through the Lorentz transformation, which is a combination of a boost and a rotation. This transformation allows for the conversion of coordinates and physical quantities between two frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity.

3. What is the difference between a Lorentz boost and a rotation matrix?

A Lorentz boost is a transformation that changes the coordinates of an object in the direction of its motion, while a rotation matrix describes the change in orientation of an object. In special relativity, a Lorentz boost can result in time dilation and length contraction, while a rotation matrix can result in changes in the direction of velocity and acceleration.

4. How are Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices used in physics?

Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices are used in a variety of fields in physics, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. They are fundamental to the theory of relativity and are used to describe the behavior of objects in high-speed and high-gravity environments.

5. Are there any practical applications of Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices?

Yes, there are many practical applications of Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices. For example, they are used in the design of particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to account for the effects of relativity on the motion of particles. They are also used in the navigation of spacecraft and the analysis of cosmological data in astrophysics.