Entropy of running water around a resistor

In summary, an electric current of 10A running through a 20 ohm resistor for 1 minute does not result in any entropy changes for the resistor, as it is work done instead of heat. For the running water, the power is calculated to be 2000W or 2000J, but the path between the initial and final states is unclear due to the constant temperature. The entropy changes for the universe will be the same as for the running water. Upon further consideration and adjusting for temperature in kelvin, the problem has been solved.
bmarson123

Homework Statement

An electric current of 10A runs for 1 minute through a 20 ohm Resistor which is maintained at 10 degC by being immersed in running water. What are the entropy changes in a) the resistor b) the running water c) the universe

Homework Equations

P = I2R

dS = dQ/T

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) there is no change in the entropy as it is work done by the resistor, not heat.

b) I've calculated P = 2000W = 2000J

The problem I'm having is formulating the path between the initial and final states of the system because of the constant temperature. I'm also not sure if I'm using the right equation?

c) This will be the same as the answer for b) I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out!

Forgot to convert the temperature to kelvin and then got everything written down in a mess!

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the distribution of energy within a system.

How does running water affect the entropy of a resistor?

Running water around a resistor increases the entropy of the resistor by transferring thermal energy from the water to the resistor. This increase in thermal energy results in a more disordered arrangement of molecules within the resistor.

Why is the entropy of a resistor important?

The entropy of a resistor is important because it is a key factor in determining the efficiency and performance of electronic devices. A higher entropy can lead to increased heat dissipation and potential damage to the device.

How is the entropy of a resistor calculated?

The entropy of a resistor can be calculated using the formula S = k ln(W), where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of possible states or arrangements of molecules within the resistor.

Can the entropy of a resistor be reduced?

Yes, the entropy of a resistor can be reduced by decreasing the flow of running water or by implementing cooling mechanisms to dissipate the excess thermal energy. This can help to maintain the proper functioning and lifespan of the resistor.