Find s(t) Given Initial Conditions and F(s)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the position of an object over time, given its initial conditions and a periodic force acting on it. It involves translating force into acceleration and then using integration to find the equations for velocity and position. The solution may include random constants, but they can be solved for by supplying enough initial conditions. One example given is s(t) = sin(t).
DSoul
This problem has been bothering me for a while now, hope you can help me.

Let's say that the initial velocity of an object, with mass of m is 0 and the initial position is s0 and the force acting on the object is defined as F(s), how do i find the s(t), where t is time. If it's any help, then the F(s) should be periodic. I can also write the exact problem I'm working on, but a general solution would be nice.

Thank You in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Generally you'll have to translate force into acceleration, this gives you a(s). You can start with a = dv/dt, multply by ds/ds, => a = (dv/ds) (ds/dt) = v dv/ds. This leads to v dv = a(s) ds, which will be the first integration step. You mentioned F(s) is periodic, so take the simple case a(s) = -s, this results in:
v dv = -s ds
1/2 v2 = - 1/2 s2 + c
v = sqrt(c - s2)
ds/dt = sqrt(c - s2)
ds/sqrt(c - s2) = dt
let c = d^2
ds/sqrt(d2 - s2) = dt
sin-1(s / |d|) = t + e (or - cos-1(s / |d|)= t + e)
s = |d| sin(t + e) (or s = -|d| cos(t + e)

Last edited:

Thank you for your answer. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I understand that d and e are random constants. Isn't there a way to solve it so there wouldn't be any random constants in the answer?

DSoul said:
Thank you for your answer. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I understand that d and e are random constants.
Yes, they are random constants.
DSoul said:
Isn't there a way to solve it so there wouldn't be any random constants in the answer?
You need to supply enough initial conditions to solve for the constants, for example, if s(0) = 0 and v(0) = 1, then s(t) = sin(t).

Say i wanted to take definite integrals from both sides of the equation: a(s) ds = v dv, then what should be the intervals for both sides? Should they be equal, or let's say [s1;0] for the left side and [v(s1);v(0)] for the other side?

DSoul said:
Say i wanted to take definite integrals from both sides of the equation: a(s) ds = v dv, then what should be the intervals for both sides? Should they be equal, or let's say [s1;0] for the left side and [v(s1);v(0)] for the other side?
I'm not sure, since this would restrict the equality to defined intervals which could affect the outcome, and you'd still need limits for the ds/sqrt(...) = dt definite integral.

For my example, knowing s(0) and v(0) was enough to solve the example problem. I'm not sure of the advantage of including a second state for s1 earlier on. How would you choose s1?

I know that v(s1) = 0 and i also know how to calculate v(0). But okay, as your way seems better, could you please tell me how you got to the point where s(t) = sin(t). As I'm quite new to all this i didn't really understand how you got rid of those constants. If you could do it step by step, that'd be wonderful. Again, thanks in advance.

DSoul said:
(how to) get rid of those constants.

I used the derived equation for s(t) and it's derivatives, acceleration wasn't used:

s(t) = |d| sin(t + e)
v(t) = |d| cos(t + e)
a(t) = -|d| sin(t + e)

if s(0) = 0 then e = 0 or e = ± π (assuming |d| ≠ 0)
if v(0) = 1 then |d| = 1 and e = 0

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding s(t) given initial conditions and F(s)?

The purpose of finding s(t) given initial conditions and F(s) is to solve for the position function (s(t)) of an object undergoing motion, using its initial conditions (such as initial position and velocity) and the force function (F(s)) acting on it.

2. How do you find s(t) given initial conditions and F(s)?

To find s(t) given initial conditions and F(s), you can use the inverse Laplace transform. This mathematical operation transforms the force function (F(s)) from the frequency domain to the time domain, giving you the position function (s(t)) as the output.

3. What are the initial conditions needed to find s(t)?

The initial conditions needed to find s(t) are the initial position (s(0)) and the initial velocity (s'(0)) of the object. These initial conditions provide the starting point for solving the differential equation that relates the position function (s(t)) to the force function (F(s)).

4. Can you find s(t) if the force function is unknown?

No, it is not possible to find s(t) if the force function is unknown. The force function (F(s)) is a crucial component in solving for the position function (s(t)) using the inverse Laplace transform. Without the force function, the equation cannot be solved.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding s(t) given initial conditions and F(s)?

Finding s(t) given initial conditions and F(s) has various real-life applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include predicting the motion of objects in mechanical systems, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, and studying the dynamics of chemical reactions. It is also used in fields such as control systems, robotics, and signal processing.