Optimization of objective function that's the product of unitary matrices

In summary, the speaker is working in NRM and needs to optimize an objective function that involves a product of 2D unitary complex matrices and a vector. They are seeking a faster way to perform this optimization and welcome any ideas. The suggestion is made to use the Strassen algorithm for matrix multiplication, and it is proposed to focus on maximizing or minimizing the difference between M and M_target rather than squaring it.
bastpg
Hi,
I work in NRM and need for some reason to optimize an objective function of the form ||M-M_target||^2 where M is the product of a large number (>100) 2D unitary complex matrices (Qi) and a vector (A), i.e. M=Q1*Q2*...*QN*A, and M_target is a constant complex vector. I can do it directly, like people have done so far, but the problem has so much structure to it that it seems something smarter could be done. Note that this optimization should be fast, so reducing computation time even a little bit (>10%) could be a big deal. Let me know if the pb seems familiar and you have some ideas about it...
Thanks,
Bastien

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see shortcuts, as your M_target and A have nothing in common. You could at best use a faster algorithm for matrix multiplication, in this case the Strassen algorithm should save some time.

What is constant and what is a variable here?

Only thing I can think of is, since squaring is monotonic for non-negatives, just seek to maximize ||M-M_target|| without concern for the square if you want to maximize or minimize difference if you wish to minimize the full expression.

1. What is the objective function in this optimization problem?

The objective function in this optimization problem is a product of unitary matrices, which is a mathematical function used to represent rotations and reflections in linear algebra.

2. Why is optimizing the objective function important?

Optimizing the objective function is important because it allows us to find the best solution for our problem, which in this case involves finding the optimal combination of unitary matrices to achieve a desired outcome.

3. How is the objective function optimized?

The objective function is optimized using mathematical techniques such as gradient descent, which iteratively adjusts the unitary matrices to minimize the value of the function until a satisfactory solution is reached.

4. What are the applications of optimizing the objective function of unitary matrices?

Optimizing the objective function of unitary matrices has applications in various fields such as quantum computing, signal processing, and data compression. It can also be used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

5. What challenges are associated with optimizing the objective function of unitary matrices?

One of the main challenges is the computational complexity involved in solving optimization problems with unitary matrices. Additionally, the high dimensionality and non-linear nature of the problem can make it difficult to find an optimal solution. Furthermore, accurately modeling and representing the problem can also be a challenge.