Required tension of rope around a cylinder to hold a object.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the tension required on a rope tied to a mass attached to a vertical cylinder of diameter D. The force needed depends on the coefficient of friction, which is explained as the friction force = mu * force perpendicular to the cylinder surface. The question of how to calculate this perpendicular force is raised, as the tension in a rope is typically assumed to be tangential. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of obtaining accurate dimensions of the mass to accurately calculate the fraction of tension pressing against the cylinder.
kaar
please see attached drawing. I am trying to understand how this would work.

Imagine a vertical cylinder of diameter "D". I would like to tie a mass M to it, using a rope. what is the tension "T" that is required on the rope?

I assume the force required will depend on the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the mass, let us assume that to be "mu".

but in this case, friction force = mu * force perpendicular to the cylinder surface

how to calculate this perpendicular force? is it just equal to the tension T? I am confused because when a rope goes though a pully we always assume tension to be tangential to the pully at any given point...

any clarifications of my understanding is welcome!

Attachments

• 2011-12-15_07-55-20_39.jpg
    2011-12-15_07-55-20_39.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have redrawn the problem a bit, I think the physics remains the same. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• aaaaa118.jpg
    aaaaa118.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 581
You wrote,

is it just equal to the tension T?

No in general. I think you would have to accurate dimensions of the mass M to calculate what fraction of T presses mass M against the cylinder. My sketch above takes liberty with the dimensions as none were given.

That clarified my doubt..thanks.

The required tension of the rope around a cylinder to hold an object will depend on several factors, including the mass of the object, the diameter of the cylinder, and the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the object. The tension required can be calculated using the formula T = μmg, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the tension in the rope is equal to the perpendicular force exerted on the cylinder by the object.

In this case, the perpendicular force would be equal to the tension in the rope, as long as the rope is parallel to the surface of the cylinder. If the rope is at an angle, the perpendicular force would be equal to the tension multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the rope and the cylinder surface.

It is important to note that this formula assumes a static situation, where the object is not moving. If the object is in motion, the tension in the rope may need to be adjusted to account for the acceleration and friction forces acting on the object.

Additionally, the assumption of the tension being tangential to the pulley is only applicable in a simplistic scenario where the rope is moving smoothly over the pulley. In reality, there may be other factors at play, such as the weight of the pulley itself, or the angle at which the rope is wrapped around the pulley. These factors would need to be taken into account when calculating the required tension in the rope.

Overall, the required tension in the rope around a cylinder to hold an object is a complex calculation that will vary depending on the specific circumstances. It is important to consider all relevant factors, such as mass, coefficient of friction, and angle of the rope, in order to accurately determine the tension needed.

1. What is the formula for calculating the required tension of rope around a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the required tension of rope around a cylinder is T = (mg + ma)/2πr, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, a is the angular velocity of the cylinder, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How does the weight of the object affect the required tension of rope around a cylinder?

The weight of the object directly affects the required tension of rope around a cylinder. The heavier the object, the more tension is required to hold it in place. This is due to the gravitational force acting on the object and the need to counteract this force with tension in the rope.

3. Can the required tension of rope around a cylinder be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the required tension of rope around a cylinder can be greater than the weight of the object. This can happen when the object is moving or accelerating, as the tension needs to not only hold the object in place but also counteract any external forces acting on it.

4. How does the radius of the cylinder affect the required tension of rope around it?

The radius of the cylinder has a direct impact on the required tension of rope around it. A larger radius will result in a lower tension needed, while a smaller radius will require a higher tension. This is because a larger radius creates a larger moment arm, making it easier to hold the object in place.

5. Can the required tension of rope around a cylinder change over time?

Yes, the required tension of rope around a cylinder can change over time. This can happen if the object is constantly moving or accelerating, as the tension needs to be adjusted to keep the object in place. Additionally, the tension can change if the weight of the object changes, or if the radius of the cylinder is adjusted.