Magnetic strength cannot be measured

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in measuring magnetic force and the lack of a unit for magnetic pole strength. This is due to the absence of magnetic monopoles, which are necessary for defining a proportionality constant. The unit of pole strength is gauss-cm^2 and can be approximated as a point monopole when the area is small compared to the distance.
bobsmith76
I don't get the following passage from my textbook. Why can't the magnetic force be measured? I don't see why there is no unit for p.

If one pole of a long, thin bar magnet is placed in the vicinity of one pole of another long, thin bar magnet, Coulomb’s magnetic force law states: The magnetic force F between one pole of magnetic strength p1 and another pole of magnetic strength p2 is inversely proportional to the square of the distance r between
them, or F ∝ p1p2/2 . It is not possible, however, to find a proportionality constant, because it is not possible to define a unit for p, a magnetic monopole

Physics news on Phys.org
I *think* it's just saying that because there are no magnetic monopoles, which would be an object that is only 1 pole of a magnet, aka a "magnetic charge", we cannot define a constant to it's strength like we can with the electric force, which does have single charges of both positive and negative. Not sure though.

I would agree with Drakkith. In electricity and gravitation it is possible to define a unit charge and a unit mass but I have never met a definition of a unit magnetic pole.

The magnetic pole strength at the end of a bar magnet equals MA, where M is the magnetization and A the area lof the end in Gaussian units. The unit of pole strength is
gauss-cm^2. The end acts like a point monopole when its area is small compare to r^2.

I can explain that the reason why the magnetic force cannot be measured is because magnetic monopoles do not exist. Unlike electric charges, which can exist as both positive and negative, magnetic poles always come in pairs - a north and a south pole. This means that there is no way to isolate a single magnetic pole to measure its strength.

In the passage from your textbook, the magnetic force law is mentioned, which relates the force between two magnetic poles to their strengths. However, since there is no way to define a unit for magnetic strength, the proportionality constant cannot be determined. This is due to the fact that the concept of a single, isolated magnetic pole is not possible in nature.

In other words, the magnetic force cannot be measured because it is not possible to isolate and measure the strength of a single magnetic pole. This is a fundamental property of magnetism that has been observed and studied for centuries. While we may not fully understand the underlying reasons for this phenomenon, it is a well-established fact in the field of physics.

1. Can't magnetic strength be measured with a magnetometer?

No, a magnetometer measures the magnetic field strength, not the magnetic strength. The magnetic field strength is a measure of the force exerted on a magnetic object, while the magnetic strength is a property of the magnet itself.

2. Is there any way to quantify the strength of a magnet?

Yes, the strength of a magnet can be quantified by its magnetic moment, which is a measure of the magnetic dipole moment of the magnet. This is typically measured in units of ampere-meters squared (A·m²).

3. Why is it difficult to measure magnetic strength?

It is difficult to measure magnetic strength because it is an intrinsic property of a magnet and cannot be directly measured. It can only be indirectly measured through its effects on other objects, such as the force it exerts on another magnet or the magnetic field it produces.

4. Can magnetic strength vary over time?

Yes, the magnetic strength of a magnet can vary over time due to factors such as temperature, external magnetic fields, and age. However, the magnetic moment of a magnet remains constant as long as the magnet is not demagnetized.

5. How do scientists study magnetic strength if it cannot be measured?

Scientists study magnetic strength by using mathematical models and theories, performing experiments that measure the effects of magnetic strength, and observing the behavior of magnetic materials. They also use instruments such as magnetometers to measure the magnetic field strength, which can provide information about the magnetic strength of a magnet.