What is the meaning of positive phase in a bode plot?

In summary, the conversation discusses a bode plot with a positive phase and a MATLAB code used to create it. The question raised is about the relationship between the input and output signals and how the output can come before the input. The answer is that the bode plot depicts a steady-state relationship between theoretically eternal sinusoids, and can exhibit a relative phase shift.
kandelabr

Homework Statement

I have a bode plot with a positive phase.

Homework Equations

this is a MATLAB code for the thing
Code:
% bode phase plot
w = logspace(1, 4, 100);
G = 100*(1+0.017i*w)./(1i.*w.*(1+0.05i.*w).*(1+0.0025i.*w).*(1+0.001i.*w));
fi = atand(imag(G)./real(G));
semilogx(w, fi); % x-axis: log(omega*j), y-axis: phase in degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing to solve, there's just one thing I don't get: if phase means "relation between input and output signal", how can output signal come before the input?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the signals being compared are not starting from some t=0. They are a depiction of some steady-state relationship between theoretically eternal sinusoids, and as such can exhibit a relative phase shift.

yeah, i thought this would be the explanation, and i neglected that bode plot is steady-state only.

thanks!

The phase in a bode plot refers to the phase shift between the input and output signals at different frequencies. In this case, the positive phase means that the output signal is lagging behind the input signal by a certain angle. This is represented by the positive slope of the phase curve in the bode plot. Therefore, the output signal is not coming before the input, but rather lagging behind it.

What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of a system's frequency response. It is used to analyze the stability and performance of a system.

What is positive phase in a Bode plot?

Positive phase in a Bode plot means that the phase angle between the input and output signals is increasing as the frequency increases. This indicates that the system has a delay in its response.

How is positive phase represented in a Bode plot?

Positive phase is represented by a line sloping upwards from left to right on the phase plot, and by a phase angle greater than 0 degrees at all frequencies on the phase angle plot.

What does positive phase indicate about a system?

Positive phase indicates that the system has a time delay in its response. This can be caused by factors such as capacitors, inductors, or filters in the system.

How does positive phase affect the stability and performance of a system?

Positive phase can lead to instability and poor performance in a system. It can cause oscillations or overshoot in the output signal, and can also affect the system's ability to accurately follow the input signal.