Problem balancing equation to be able to write net ionic equation. Please help

In summary, the conversation discusses writing balanced molecular and net ionic equations for the reaction between aqueous sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide. The correct formula for sodium sulfate is needed for proper balancing. The use of subscript and superscript tags is recommended instead of changing font sizes.
Democritus_

Homework Statement

Write balanced molecular and net ionic equations for the reaction of aqueous sulfuric acid with sodium hydroxide.

Homework Equations

H2SO4 + NaOH -->

The Attempt at a Solution

H2SO4 + NaOH --> H2O + NaSO4Please apologize any mistakes I make in trying to post this question, I don't frequent forums. Regarding my question, I'm fairly certain I understand the basis of the reaction being made, and I am confident in writing the net ionic equation and cancelling the spectator ions. The problem I am having though (which I don't usually have a problem with), is balancing this equation. I have everything balanced except when it comes to the oxygens, and I am one off on the product side. I've tried things such as using a "1/2" number, then multiplying by 2, but it just doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oxygens are balanced, but sodium and hydrogen are not.

Before trying to balance check what is a correct formula of sodium sulfate, otherwise you will be wasting time.

Instead of formatting subscripts with font size, use subscript and superscript tags/buttons (quote my post to see details, or look for X2 and X2 buttons in the advanced editor).

Ah, thank you. I realize now my mistake I made with sodium sulfate. Thank you!

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only includes the substances that participate in a chemical reaction. It does not include spectator ions, which are present but do not take part in the reaction.

2. Why is it important to balance equations before writing a net ionic equation?

Balancing equations is important because it ensures that the same number of each type of atom is present on both the reactant and product sides of the equation. This is necessary in order to accurately represent the chemical reaction and write a correct net ionic equation.

3. How do you balance an equation in order to write a net ionic equation?

To balance an equation, you must adjust the coefficients in front of each reactant and product until the number of each type of atom is equal on both sides. This is typically done by trial and error, using the law of conservation of mass as a guide.

4. What are some common mistakes when balancing equations for net ionic equations?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to balance polyatomic ions, not reducing coefficients to their lowest whole number ratio, and not accounting for charges on ions. It is important to double check your work to ensure all atoms and charges are balanced.

5. Can you provide an example of a balanced equation and its corresponding net ionic equation?

Sure, let's take the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH):

Balance the equation: HCl + NaOH → NaCl + H2O

Write the net ionic equation: H+ + OH- → H2O

In this example, the spectator ions (Na+ and Cl-) were not included in the net ionic equation because they are present on both sides and do not participate in the reaction.