Math vs Maths: US vs UK Explained by Kieron

• Thread starter Kieron
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the different usage of words and phrases in different English-speaking countries, particularly the difference between "mathematics" and "maths" in the US and UK. It is mentioned that this is just one example of the quirks of two countries separated by a common language, and that there are many other differences in spelling and terminology. The conversation also touches on the difference in light switch usage between Canadians and Americans, with some joking remarks about the reasons for these differences. Finally, one member mentions that after the American Revolution, there was a significant effort to revise and "Americanize" the English language, potentially leading to some of these differences.
Kieron
Hi
Not sure what forum this should go in. But does anyone know why mathematics is math in the US and maths in the UK?

Kieron

Physics news on Phys.org
Brits add the s because the word "mathematics" ends in "s". Americans tend to just use initial letters for abbreviations.

Just the different quirks of two different countries separated by a common language.

Why do Canadians open and close their lights while Americans turn theirs on and off? The really puzzling thing is that Canadians have to close the switch in order to open their lights, and have to open the switch to close their lights. :biggrin:

Kieron said:
Hi
Not sure what forum this should go in. But does anyone know why mathematics is math in the US and maths in the UK?

Kieron

I've always thought they were in the same league with "behavior-behaviour","hemoragia-haemoragia",and many more.

Daniel.

Kieron said:
why mathematics is math in the US and maths in the UK?

Maybe the Brits just like to stick in extra letters to make us Yanks cranky: alumin(i)um, travel(l)er, labo(u)r...

Or maybe we took them out to make them cranky. :rofl:

It's a trade-off between efficiency and vulgarity.

BobG said:
Why do Canadians open and close their lights while Americans turn theirs on and off? The really puzzling thing is that Canadians have to close the switch in order to open their lights, and have to open the switch to close their lights. :biggrin:

Never heard of that.

:confused:

BobG said:
Just the different quirks of two different countries separated by a common language.

I second ek. I am Canadian and have been turning on and turning off lights all my life. Furthermore, all of the switches I have encountered have been either labelled with ON and OFF, or nothing at all. Occasionally, I'll be daring and shut off the lights instead, but that is the extent of the variation I allow in my vernacular.

LOL!

*Edit* GASP! I realize I have been lax...for occasionally I have been known to switch on and off the lights as well.

Last edited:
Sometime after the american revolution there was a huge revisionism of the English language to make it more American. The American revolution was more profound and complete than many realize.

1. What is the difference between "math" and "maths"?

In the United States, "math" is the shortened form of "mathematics" and is used to refer to the subject as a whole. In the United Kingdom, "maths" is the shortened form of "mathematics" and is also used to refer to the subject as a whole.

2. Is there a correct way to spell it?

Both "math" and "maths" are considered correct spellings and are widely accepted in their respective countries. It is simply a difference in spelling conventions.

3. Why is there a difference in spelling between the US and the UK?

The difference in spelling between "math" and "maths" is due to a historical difference in the development of the English language. The word "mathematics" comes from the Greek word "mathematikos," which means "inclined to learn." When the word was adopted into English, the British preferred to add an "s" to the end, while the Americans left it as "mathematics." This difference in spelling has remained over time.

4. Are there any other differences between US and UK mathematics?

Aside from the difference in spelling, there are some minor differences in terminology and notation between US and UK mathematics. For example, the term "period" is used in the UK to refer to what Americans call a "decimal point." Additionally, the use of the symbol "x" to represent multiplication is more common in the UK, while Americans tend to use the symbol "•" or parentheses.

5. Which spelling should I use?

If you are in the United States, it is recommended to use "math," as it is the more commonly used spelling in American English. If you are in the United Kingdom, it is recommended to use "maths," as it is the more commonly used spelling in British English. However, either spelling is considered correct and will be understood in both countries.