Fluid Mechanics - Equations of motion circular flows

In summary: I 'll drink a few beers to your health tonight ;).In summary, the Navier-Stokes equations for an incompressible flow can be simplified for a circular flow by setting the radial velocity to zero. This results in a pressure term that is independent of the angular coordinate. This is due to the symmetry of the velocity profile and can be proven through continuity and the component equation in the angular direction.
da_willem
Departing from the Navier-Stokes equations for an incompressible flow (with [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\mu=\rho \nu[/itex] constant):

[tex] \frac{Du_i}{Dt}=\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial t}+u_j \frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j} = -\frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial p}{\partial x_i} +\nu \frac{\partial^2 u_i}{\partial x_j^2}[/tex]

my book says it follows for a circular flow

[tex]\frac{\rho u_{\theta}^2}{r} = \frac{\partial p}{\partial r}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{u_{\theta}}{\partial t} = \nu [\frac{\partial^2 u_{\theta}}{\partial r^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial u_{\theta}}{\partial r}-\frac{u_{\theta}}{r^2}] [/tex]

I can understand part of it. For a circular flow [itex]u_r=0[/tex] So the incompressibility yields that [itex] u_{\theta}[/itex] is not a function of theta. So the nonlinear term in the material derivative vanishes. But where does the last term [itex]-\frac{u_{theta}}{r^2} [/itex]
come from? And the entire first equation?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about
[tex] a_{cp}=\frac{\omega^{2}}{r} [/tex]

?

After all,it is a circular motion of a fluid and the NS equations are the Newtons equations for a Newtonian fluid,right??

As for the second,think about,make some calculations.Express that laplaceian in polar coordinates and find out where it comed from.i ain't going to do those calculations for u.

Daniel.

1. By continuity, you must show that a 2-D circular motion for an incompressible fluid is only possible if the velocity field is independent of the angular coordinate;
[tex]\vec{v}=u_{\theta}(r,t})\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex]
2.Write N-S as follows:
[tex]\frac{\partial\vec{v}}{\partial{t}}+(\vec{v}\cdot\nabla)\vec{v}=-\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla{p}+\nu\nabla^{2}\vec{v},\nabla=\vec{i}_{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}+\vec{i}_{\theta}\frac{\partial}{r\partial\theta},\nabla^{2}=\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial{r}^{2}}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}+\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial\theta^{2}}[/tex]

Calculate the various terms this implies!
3) Show that the pressure must be independent of angle, since the pressure must be a continuous function.

Note:
"So the nonlinear term in the material derivative vanishes."
This is TOTALLY WRONG!
You have curved motion.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Note:
"So the nonlinear term in the material derivative vanishes."
This is TOTALLY WRONG!
You have curved motion.

But [itex]u_r[/itex] is zero for a circular flow so [itex]\vec{u}=(u_r,u_\theta)=(0,u_\theta)[/itex]. The nonlinear term in the material derivative is [itex](\vec{u} \cdot \nabla )\vec{u}=u_\theta \frac{\partial u_\theta}{r\partial \theta}[/itex]. And the continuity equation says: [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{u}= \frac{\partial u_\theta}{r \partial \theta}=0[/itex]. So the nonlinear term vanishes, right?

NOPE!
1. [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\nabla=\frac{u_{\theta}}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}[/tex]
2.[tex]\vec{v}\cdot\nabla\vec{v}=\frac{u_{\theta}}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(u_{\theta}\vec{i}_{\theta})=\frac{u_{\theta}}{r}(\frac{\partial{u}_{\theta}}{\partial\theta}\vec{i}_{\theta}+u_{\theta}\frac{\partial\vec{i}_{\theta}}{\partial\theta}})=\frac{u_{\theta}}{r}(0\vec{i}_{\theta}-u_{\theta}\vec{i}_{r})=-\frac{u_{\theta}^{2}}{r}\vec{i}_{r}[/tex]
This is the centripetal acceleration term.

Last edited:
Aha that explains a lot. Those darm changing unit vectors... But anyway, thanks a lot. The origin of the first equation is clear now, it is the r-component of N-S. As for the second equation; using the expression for the laplacian:

[tex]\nabla^{2 }=\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial{r}^{2}}+\frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}+\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{ \partial^{2}}{\partial\theta^{2}}[/tex]

I get for the theta component:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u_{\theta}}{\partial r^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial u_{\theta}}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial ^2 u_{\theta}}{r^2 \partial \theta ^2}[/tex] Where the last term vanishes because [itex]u_{\theta}[/itex] is not a function of theta. So is the last term I mentioned in my first post a wrong?

Again, the darn changing unit vectors..:wink: :
[tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial\theta^{2}}(u_{\theta}(r,t)\vec{i}_{\theta})=\frac{u_{\theta}(r,t)}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}\vec{i}_{\theta}}{\partial\theta^{2}}=-\frac{u_{\theta}(r,t)}{r^{2}}\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex]

All that remains, is to show that the pressure must be independent of the angle.

Ouch, that's painful :blushing: I hope I learned my lesson now... And about the independence of angle of the pressure. Isn't this obvious by symmetry? As the velocity profile does not depend on angle, there is no way to distinguish one direction form the other. The physical conditions are independent of the angle so the pressure must be as well?

It is very easy to prove that independence:
Look at the component equation in the angular direction.
Transfer the viscous term onto the other side; we gain therefore:
[tex]\frac{\partial{p}}{\partial\theta}=G(r,t)[/tex]
where G is some function solely of r and t, since the velocity is so (proven through continuity equation).

But this means, that the pressure must be, through integration:
[tex]p(r,\theta,t)=G(r,t)\theta+K(r,t)[/tex]

But, the polar coordinate points [tex](r,0)[/tex] and [tex](r,2\pi)[/tex] is the SAME point; hence, the pressure function must prescribe the same pressure value there.
(Alternatively, if you regard the angle to lie in the half-open interval [tex][0,2\pi)[/tex], the limiting value of the pressure when the angle tends towards [tex]2\pi[/tex] must be p(r,0,t); i.e, continuity of pressure)

We therefore must have:
[tex]p(r,0,t)=p(r,2\pi,t)\to{K}(r,t)=G(r,t)2\pi+K(r,t)\to{G}\equiv0[/tex]
Hence, p=K(r,t)=p(r,t), that is, independent of the angle.
QED.

Last edited:
nice, very elegant. Thank you very much, you've been very helpful.

1. What are the equations of motion for circular flows?

The equations of motion for circular flows are the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the conservation of momentum and mass in a fluid flow. These equations can be written in terms of the velocity, pressure, and density of the fluid.

2. How are the equations of motion for circular flows derived?

The Navier-Stokes equations are derived from the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics, including the continuity equation and the conservation of momentum. They can also be derived from the more general equations of motion, the Euler equations, by including viscous effects.

3. What is the significance of circular flows in fluid mechanics?

Circular flows are important in many real-world applications, such as in the study of rotating machinery, ocean currents, and atmospheric circulation. Understanding the equations of motion for circular flows is crucial for analyzing and predicting the behavior of these systems.

4. How do the equations of motion for circular flows differ from those for linear flows?

The equations of motion for circular flows include additional terms to account for the rotational motion of the fluid. These terms, known as the Coriolis and centrifugal forces, are not present in the equations for linear flows. Additionally, the geometry of the flow must be taken into account for circular flows, whereas it is not necessary for linear flows.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in using the equations of motion for circular flows?

Yes, in most practical applications, simplifying assumptions are made to solve the equations of motion for circular flows. These may include assuming steady flow, incompressible fluid, and neglecting certain forces or effects such as turbulence. These assumptions allow for more manageable solutions to the equations.