Can I replace damaged capacitors in my power supply with a 1000uf cap?

In summary, there is a problem with a monitor/TV that powers on for about 30 seconds and then shuts off. The issue is believed to be with the power supply, specifically three capacitors that appear to be damaged. The person is looking to find replacement capacitors in the Harrisburg Mechanicsburg area and prefers not to buy them online. They are also wondering if a 1000uf capacitor could be used instead of the 820uf ones that are damaged. They also mention that they are still learning about electronics and are not sure if they need to be grounded when handling the power supply. The conversation also includes suggestions for troubleshooting and repairing the monitor/TV.
slee95
The monitor/ tv will power on for around 30s and i can see all the icons on the tv but then will shut off I'm thinking its the power supply so i took a look at it and 3 of the capacitors look bad i have no clue where to get capacitors in the Harrisburg Mechanicsburg are. I don't want to buy online i want to buy from a store though. Can i use a 1000uf cap the 3 caps that look bad are 820uf 25v.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you don't want to buy online and you can't find one in your area, you got a problem!

but would a 1000uf substitute for a 820uf cap?

slee95 said:
but would a 1000uf substitute for a 820uf cap?

If it is a filter cap, yes.

820μF is a funny value to put in a psu filter rather than 1000 are you sure it is a filter cap as yungman said?

there's lots of sites where people discuss their repairs

my son fixed a 50 inch samsung with help from folks here
three Radio Shack caps got his trashpile-rescued tv going for around seven bucks

http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

try a google search on your model and symptom.

I got the capacitor. Noticed a tv store on my way to a doctors appoint and got it for $6. filter cap? I'm still learning about electronics at votech the cap is a dc capacitor like this pic http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10...w=131&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:75. Ok now to install it will i have to be grounded while handling the power supply? If so i do not own a grounding reistband what else could i use to ground my self?

If you had bad capacitors, you would be getting bad smells and possibly crackling noises.

If you are using Windows XP, there is a "power options" icon in Control Panel which could turn the monitor off in as little as 1 minute.
Worth checking this by borrowing a friend's monitor to check it. If your friend's monitor turns off too, then it could be a computer setting.

If you power up the monitor and computer separately, then turn the computer off then on but leave the monitor turned on, do you get the same effect?
The monitor should stay off if it is causing the problem, but it should give a short period of normal picture if it is the computer doing it.

vk6kro said:
If you had bad capacitors, you would be getting bad smells and possibly crackling noises.

If you are using Windows XP, there is a "power options" icon in Control Panel which could turn the monitor off in as little as 1 minute.
Worth checking this by borrowing a friend's monitor to check it. If your friend's monitor turns off too, then it could be a computer setting.

If you power up the monitor and computer separately, then turn the computer off then on but leave the monitor turned on, do you get the same effect?
The monitor should stay off if it is causing the problem, but it should give a short period of normal picture if it is the computer doing it.
It does show all the computer icons for a very brief time then shuts off and 3 of the caps look really blotted on the power supply so i will replace them but did not know if its static sensitive. The monitor/tv it has the port for either or is a samsung with speakers on the side and is at work so i don't know the model numb. but i will know tomorrow.

Oh the computer tower i tested it on was a e-machines with xp. I like the monitor and they were going to throw it away so I'm attempting to repair it. When i pull the power cord off and back on it will show the computer icons but only briefly the monitor works but only stay on for 30s or so.

That sounds better, but don't waste too much money on it.

Nobody wants CRT monitors any more and you can pick them up cheaply ($15) or free.

No, power supplies are not usually static sensitive, but beware of capacitors that can hold charges long after the power is turned off. They can zap unwary fingers.

thanks vk6kro the caps only costed be $6 while i have the back off of it what other things should i look at before powering it up again?

You realize that this is a bit of a gamble, so if you are sure you have the polarity of the capacitors right and you haven't accidentally pulled any plugs out of their sockets, just turn it on and see what happens.

If it behaves the same as it did before, I would ditch it.

Collect your capacitors out of it and any power transistors, Schottky diodes, ICs, ferrite toroids or heatsinks for your junk box and get rid of what is left.

Than kvk6kro very much :).

slee95 said:
It does show all the computer icons for a very brief time then shuts off and 3 of the caps look really blotted on the power supply so i will replace them
I'm intrigued; what does a capacitor look like to appear "blotted"? http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1143/confusedsmiley010.gif

My feeling is that if 3 capacitors can be seen to have burst, there are probably 10 times as many hidden away on other boards, or on the underside, that are in an equally poor state.

Last edited by a moderator:
The monitor lives again and is working good :) NascentOxygen yes the old ones were partially exploded and no the caps where only on one side. :)

slee95 said:
The monitor lives again and is working good :)
I hope your rescue enjoys a long and productive second life. :smile:

Thank you NascentOxygen very much :).

1. Can I use a 1000uf capacitor to replace a damaged one in my power supply?

Yes, in most cases you can replace a damaged capacitor with a 1000uf one. However, it is important to make sure that the voltage rating and polarity of the new capacitor match the specifications of the old one.

2. Will using a 1000uf capacitor affect the performance of my power supply?

Using a 1000uf capacitor may affect the performance of your power supply, as it may have a different capacitance and ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) than the original one. It is recommended to use a capacitor with the same specifications as the damaged one to ensure proper functioning of the power supply.

3. Can I use a different type of capacitor to replace a 1000uf one in my power supply?

It is not recommended to use a different type of capacitor to replace a 1000uf one in your power supply. Different types of capacitors have different characteristics and may not work in the same way as the original one, potentially causing damage to the power supply.

4. How can I tell if my power supply needs a new capacitor?

If your power supply is not functioning properly, it may be a sign that a capacitor needs to be replaced. Other signs of a damaged capacitor include bulging or leaking, and a burning smell. It is best to consult a professional for proper diagnosis and replacement.

5. Can I replace a 1000uf capacitor with a higher capacitance one?

It is not recommended to replace a 1000uf capacitor with a higher capacitance one, as it may cause instability and damage to the power supply. It is important to use a capacitor with the same or similar capacitance as the original one to ensure proper functioning of the power supply.