Magnetic Switching: Wider or Narrower?

• Thread starter kor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary: From the graph above, I want to ask if the external magnetic field change from the negative to positive. At Point B , the physically larger one will have a larger value ? external magnetic field than the smaller one.Yes, the external magnetic field will change from negative to positive at Point B.
kor
For the same material, same rectangular shape and the same length,
The wider one or the narrow one will switch their magnetic direction parallel to the applied magnetic field(assuming their direction is anti parallel to the magnetic field initially )?
And Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a sketch of your setup?
What switches, and why?
Does your question assumes that exactly one material (?) switches its magnetic field?

I think there is some context missing here.

The material is ferromagnetic material.
I want to know the effect of the wideness in the hysteresis loop

kor said:
For the same material, same rectangular shape and the same length,
The wider one or the narrow one will switch their magnetic direction parallel to the applied magnetic field(assuming their direction is anti parallel to the magnetic field initially )?
And Why?

kor said:
The material is ferromagnetic material.
I want to know the effect of the wideness in the hysteresis loop

Sorry, your question is still not clear (at least not to me yet).

Are you asking about switching speed versus the shape of the hysteresis loop? Or some other question?

As long as you can drive the field far enough, you will switch the direction of the magnetization. In terms of speed, the μ of the magnetic material will affect its inductance when wound as an electromagnet, which can limit how fast you could drive the hysteresis loop...

I want to know the wideness of the material versus the shape of the hysteresis loop

kor said:
I want to know the wideness of the material versus the shape of the hysteresis loop

What do you mean by "wideness"? Physical size? But in your first post in this thread, you said "same shape and length"...

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/MagParticle/Graphics/BHCurve.gif
BHCurve.gif

berkeman said:
What do you mean by "wideness"? Physical size? But in your first post in this thread, you said "same shape and length"...

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/MagParticle/Graphics/BHCurve.gif
BHCurve.gif
Yup It is the physical size. I am sorry about the misleading. I just want to say they have the same easy axis . I am sorry about that.

kor said:
Yup It is the physical size. I am sorry about the misleading. I just want to say they have the same easy axis . I am sorry about that.

For two samples of the same material, the physically larger one will take more power to drive into saturation. Or, given the same drive power, the smaller sample will be driven farther into saturation.

Is that what you are asking about?

berkeman said:
For two samples of the same material, the physically larger one will take more power to drive into saturation. Or, given the same drive power, the smaller sample will be driven farther into saturation.

Is that what you are asking about?
From the graph above, I want to ask if the external magnetic field change from the negative to positive. At Point B , the physically larger one will have a larger value ?

1. What is magnetic switching?

Magnetic switching is the process by which the direction of a magnetic field is changed, typically by applying an external magnetic field or by passing an electric current through a material.

2. How does the width of a magnetic switch affect its performance?

The width of a magnetic switch can significantly impact its performance. A wider switch will have a larger area for the magnetic field to act on, resulting in a stronger and more stable switch. However, a narrower switch can provide more precise control and faster switching speeds.

3. What factors determine whether a wider or narrower magnetic switch is needed?

The decision between a wider or narrower magnetic switch depends on the specific application and desired performance. Factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, required switching speed, and available space for the switch will all play a role in determining the optimal width.

4. Can a magnetic switch be adjusted to have a variable width?

Some magnetic switches can be adjusted to have a variable width. This is often achieved by using materials with different magnetic properties or by incorporating adjustable components into the switch design.

5. Are there any downsides to using a wider or narrower magnetic switch?

While wider switches may provide more stability and narrower switches may offer faster switching speeds, there are potential downsides to both options. Wider switches may require more power and space, while narrower switches may be more susceptible to outside interference. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs of the application when choosing the width of a magnetic switch.