Proving the Order of Elements in a Finite Group G

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of order of an element in a finite group G, where the order is defined as the minimum positive integer n such that an = ε. The conversation also mentions the use of cyclic groups and Lagrange's theorem to prove that the order of an element is a divisor of the order of the group. The conversation concludes by mentioning Gauss' work on the subject and discussing the idea of exhausting a group by disjoint translates.
PhysKid24
For a finite group G, I need to prove that the order of an element in G is a divisor of the order of the group. I'm not sure what this exactly means, but I think you have to use cyclic groups such that G={a^0,a^1,...,a^n) where n+1 is the order of the group and a^0 is the identity element. So I think I need to use Lagrage's thm stating that the order of a subgroup is a divisor of the order of the group. So to find a subgroup of G seems to be a problem. Could I use a^m as a subgroup, where m < n+1?? What is exactly meant by order of the element. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The order of an element a of a group G is the minimum positive integer n such that an = &epsilon;.

The elements 1,a,^2,...A^n=1 that Hurkyl mentions generate a group, generally a subgroup of a larger group. Perhaps the group consists of 1 or perhaps it consists of all elements, in either case it divides the order of the group. So, the final case is when the group generated by a is neither of order 1 or the order of the entire group...

this result seems basically to be due to gauss, who studied it in the case of modular integers.

the idea is basically to let x be any element not among the powers {a, a^2,...,a^n = e}, and consider the products xa, xa^2,...,xa^n = x. and show none of these are among the elements {a, a^2,...,a^n = e} either.

continuing this process, one fills up the group by disjoint translates of the subgroup {a, a^2,...,a^n = e}. qed.

Last edited:
PhysKid24 said:
What is exactly meant by order of the element. Thanks.
some books (hungerford's) say the order of an element is the size of the cyclic group generated by that element. other books say it's the smallest n such that for an element a, a^n = e

PhysKid24 said:
For a finite group G, I need to prove that the order of an element in G is a divisor of the order of the group. I'm not sure what this exactly means, but I think you have to use cyclic groups such that G={a^0,a^1,...,a^n) where n+1 is the order of the group and a^0 is the identity element. So I think I need to use Lagrage's thm stating that the order of a subgroup is a divisor of the order of the group. So to find a subgroup of G seems to be a problem. Could I use a^m as a subgroup, where m < n+1??
i think it would follow from the above definition. the group generated by an element a (whose size = o(a) ) is a subgroup of the big group so the theorem follows from lagrange's theorem.

i just sketched the proof of "la grange's theorem" and pointed out that gauss already proved it for modular integers hence generated the key idea, namely exhausting a group by disjoint translates. there is no other idea in la grange's result hence to me, he deserves no credit.

of course it can be deduced by quoting "his" theorem.

1. What is the definition of a finite group?

A finite group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element, where the operation is associative, has an identity element, and every element has an inverse.

2. Why is proving the order of elements important in a finite group?

Proving the order of elements in a finite group is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the group. It allows us to identify the subgroups of the group and determine its cyclic structure, which can be useful in solving problems in different areas of mathematics and science.

3. How do you prove the order of an element in a finite group?

To prove the order of an element in a finite group, you can use the definition of group order, which states that the order of an element is the smallest positive integer n such that the element raised to the power of n is equal to the identity element. You can also use group theory theorems and properties, such as Lagrange's theorem and the cyclic subgroup theorem, to prove the order of an element.

4. Can the order of an element in a finite group be infinite?

No, the order of an element in a finite group cannot be infinite. By definition, a finite group has a finite number of elements, so the order of any element in the group must also be finite.

5. What is the significance of the order of elements in a finite group?

The order of an element in a finite group is significant because it determines the structure and properties of the group. It can also help in solving problems related to the group, such as finding subgroups and determining its cyclic structure. Additionally, the order of an element can provide insights into the group's symmetry and other algebraic properties.