Parametric Equation of Torus: Deriving Solutions

• Thread starter dpa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torus
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to derive the parametric equation for a torus defined by a unit circle on the xz plane revolving around the z-axis. The relevant equations for surfaces of revolution are mentioned, and the attempt at a solution involves deriving the parametric equation for the unit circle in the xz plane and defining the locus of the center of the unit circle around the z-axis. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation or resources. A link is then provided as a helpful resource."
dpa

Homework Statement

I need to derive the prarametric equation of a certain torus. defined by a unit circle on xz plane with center (a,0) and revolving about z-axis.

Homework Equations

* I don't know if this is relevant but here is something from wikipedia.
Surfaces of revolution give another important class of surfaces that can be easily parametrized. If the graph z = f(x), a ≤ x ≤ b is rotated about the z-axis then the resulting surface has a parametrization r(u,∅)=(ucos∅,usin∅,f(u)).

The Attempt at a Solution

I can derive the parametric equation of unit circle in xz plane which is given by:
<sinu+a, cosu>

I can also define the locus, (the path formed when constructing the torus, or let us say central circle of the torus), of the centre of the unit circle around Z axis in XY plane as above.
if we consider ∅ be the angle of revolution of center of unit circle about z axis, we have
<asin∅,acosb>.

I have no idea how to connect these two elements.

I would be infinitely obliged if someone could explain or provide a link for this.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
:smile:
Thank You.

1. What is a torus in mathematics?

A torus is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a doughnut, with a circular cross-section and a hole in the middle. It is commonly represented by the equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, where (a,b) is the center of the torus and r is the radius.

2. What is a parametric equation of a torus?

A parametric equation of a torus is a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points on the surface of the torus in terms of one or more parameters. It is commonly represented by the equations x = (a + r*cos(t))*cos(u), y = (b + r*cos(t))*sin(u), z = r*sin(t), where t and u are the parameters and (a,b) and r are constants.

3. How is the parametric equation of a torus derived?

The parametric equation of a torus is derived using the concept of parametric equations and the properties of circles and spheres. By combining the equations of a circle and a sphere, the equations for a torus can be derived. This process involves finding the intersection of a circle and a sphere, and then rotating the resulting curve around an axis to form a torus.

4. What are the solutions for the parametric equation of a torus?

The solutions for the parametric equation of a torus are the coordinates of points on the surface of the torus. These points can be plotted in 3D space to form a torus. The solutions can also be used to calculate the volume and surface area of the torus.

5. What is the significance of the parametric equation of a torus in real life?

The parametric equation of a torus has many real-life applications, such as in the design and construction of circular objects, such as pipes, tires, and rings. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models of torus-shaped objects. In addition, the parametric equation of a torus is used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of objects in circular or toroidal paths.