Boost Your Aerospace Engineering Internship Chances: GPA and Experience Tips

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary, the conversation discusses two main hurdles for the speaker in selling themselves to companies as an aerospace engineering intern: their GPA and lack of job experience. The speaker questions if their GPA should be cumulative over all their years and wonders if their lack of experience will be an issue. The conversation also offers advice on how to approach the experience question in an interview. The main purpose of an interview is to see how well the candidate thinks and communicates, and it is important to be prepared to talk about oneself in a positive light.
Angry Citizen
I'm trying to come up with a way to sell myself to companies looking for aerospace engineering interns this summer, but there are a couple hurdles.

First is my GPA. Often companies want a 3.0 or 3.2, but my GPA is a 2.77 - if one includes only courses I've taken at my university. Is it common practice to lump the grades one has from other colleges into the cumulative GPA? I would have a GPA north of 3.2 if I included the gen ed courses I took my first year, and the physics/calculus/chem sequences I took in my second, but were taken at other institutions. What about the so-called "major GPA"? I'd have around a 3.0 major GPA if one excludes raw math classes and uses only engineering classes I've taken here at the university. Is that acceptable? What should be considered "major GPA"?

Second is experience. I've never held a job in my life, not even at Pizza Hut. There are some reasons for this, but none of them would sit well in an impersonal interview session. What can I do to ameliorate the dreaded experience catch-22, or would this be a problem at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion the GPA should be cumulative over all your years.

I think it is almost certain the interviewer is going to ask you what other work you have done. Not so much because it matters for the internship but just as a kind of ice-breaker question. If you say 'none' that is OK, but then they are likely to ask what you did during the summertimes, out of curiosity if nothing else. Be prepared to answer. As long as you weren't in prison it's probably OK. If it really is deeply personal you should come up with a polite way of getting past the question ("I read alot" or something like that). But realize that most interviewees are eager to answer such questions because they're easy questions. So making a big deal out of not answering it may seem weird to the interviewer.

I think most companies hiring interns are looking for people who will:
show up on time
work hard and do something useful
get along with the other employees
get something out of the experience

good luck

gmax137 said:
If it really is deeply personal you should come up with a polite way of getting past the question ("I read alot" or something like that).

That's OK, but expect some follow-up open-ended questions about what you are reading!

The main purpose of an interview is not collecting facts about you (the relevant facts should be on your CV already). It's having a conversation with you to find out how well you "think on your feet" and communicate. Most people''s favorite topic of conversation is themselves, which is why interviewers often start by asking "personal" questions to get you talking before they move on to the real meat of the interview.

What is the importance of having a high GPA for an aerospace engineering internship?

Having a high GPA is important because it demonstrates your academic abilities and dedication to your studies. Employers often use GPA as a measure of your potential for success in a professional setting.

How can I improve my chances of getting an aerospace engineering internship with a low GPA?

If you have a low GPA, you can still improve your chances by highlighting your relevant skills and experiences in your resume and cover letter. You can also work on improving your GPA by taking extra courses or retaking classes.

What types of experience should I include on my resume for an aerospace engineering internship?

Any experience that showcases your skills and knowledge in the field of aerospace engineering is valuable. This can include relevant coursework, projects, research, internships, and extracurricular activities.

How important is practical experience in the aerospace engineering industry for landing an internship?

Practical experience is highly valued by employers in the aerospace engineering industry. It shows that you have hands-on skills and are familiar with the industry's tools and processes. It also demonstrates your passion and commitment to the field.

Are there any specific skills or qualifications that can give me an edge in securing an aerospace engineering internship?

Some skills that can give you an edge in securing an aerospace engineering internship include proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, knowledge of industry-specific software and tools, and experience with project management. Relevant coursework or certifications in areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and materials science can also be beneficial.