Where can I find self-teaching resources for EE basics?

• Thread starter Bdoom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, the individual is planning to attend college in a few months and is looking for resources to self-teach themselves basic concepts before the semester starts. Suggestions were given to start with a general overview of the topics that will be covered, such as Basic Circuit Theory and Digital Electronics, and to also focus on any challenging subjects like Math and Chemistry. It was also recommended to experiment and practice at home to further solidify understanding.
Bdoom
Hello,

I am going to college in a couple months (next semester after summer). I want to know where I can self-teach myself some basics to get a head start.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would start here to get a general idea of what information needs to be studied: http://www.hep.uiuc.edu/home/sibert/NEETS/index.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at your classes - the hardest ones are probably not the EE classes - Math & Chemistry were my challenges. But then I had been playing with electronics since I was 12 yrs and had two years of electronics in HS ( I went the vocational route - until I realized it was not challenging enough).
As for EE related - study the foundation topics - Basic Circuit Theory and perhaps Digital Electronics - they are pretty easy to learn on your own - and experiment with at home.

1. What resources are available for self-teaching EE?

There are a variety of resources available for self-teaching EE, including online courses, textbooks, tutorials, and open-source software. Some popular online platforms for EE self-study include Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses and lectures on EE topics.

2. Can I self-teach EE without any prior knowledge?

While having a background in math and physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge in order to self-teach EE. Many resources for self-study are designed for beginners and provide a solid foundation in the basics of EE. It may take some extra time and effort, but it is certainly possible to learn EE without prior knowledge.

3. How long does it take to self-teach EE?

The time it takes to self-teach EE will vary depending on your learning style, dedication, and prior knowledge. Some people may be able to learn the basics in a few months, while others may take longer. It's important to set realistic goals and be consistent with your studies in order to make progress.

4. Is it possible to get a job in EE through self-teaching?

While it is possible to get a job in EE through self-teaching, it may be more difficult than if you had a formal education in the field. Employers typically look for candidates with a degree in engineering or related fields, as well as practical experience. However, if you have a strong understanding of EE concepts and can demonstrate your skills through projects or internships, you may still be able to get a job in the field.

5. What are some tips for effective self-teaching of EE?

Some tips for effective self-teaching of EE include setting achievable goals, finding a study method that works best for you, seeking out online communities or study groups for support and guidance, and regularly practicing and applying your knowledge through hands-on projects. It's also important to stay motivated and persistent, as learning a complex subject like EE may require a significant amount of time and effort.