Recognizing XOR gates in K-maps

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of XOR gates in minimizing the number of gates in a circuit, specifically through a K-map/Quine-McCluskey technique. The speaker expresses curiosity about how to identify XOR gates on a K-map and an expert provides an explanation on the use of XOR gates in circuit design. The conversation also mentions the difference in the cost of implementing XOR gates in older and newer technologies.
Bipolarity
Most Karnaugh maps care only about either SoP representations or PoS representations. I have to implement a circuit which minimizes the number of gates and I noticed that certain circuits can be minimized by using XOR gates, although the K-map/Quine-McCluskey technique do not really seem to take the XOR gate into account.

Why is this? Does anyone know how to read XOR gates off of a K-map, i.e. prime implicants which can be simplified via an XOR gate? I would imagine it has something to do with the "checkerboard" arrangement of the 0s and 1s on the K-map but that is only a tentative guess. I need an expert's opinion.

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate it.

BiP

Engineering news on Phys.org
OK, I know this question was posted four years ago, but just to cut down on the overall unanswered question count, here we go...

I noticed the same thing (many) years ago when I was in my hardware designs course at college. My prof explained that in RTL/TTL circuitry, XOR was essentially three gates' worth of transistors: it boiled down to (A||B)&&!(A&&B)) Additionally, in many cases there were equivalent circuits using JUST and/or operations, so not much effort was put into translating exclusive or ops into hardware. Nowadays, in CMOS, A-and-not-B-OR-B-and-not-A (another way to see XOR) is not vastly more expensive (area wise) than the other(AND/OR) gates.

IANA silicon slinger
-Jeff

1. What is a K-map and how does it relate to XOR gates?

A K-map, also known as a Karnaugh map, is a graphical tool used to simplify boolean algebra expressions. It is used to identify patterns and minimize the number of logic gates needed to implement a digital circuit. XOR gates are a type of logic gate that can be represented and recognized on a K-map.

2. How do I identify an XOR gate on a K-map?

An XOR gate can be identified on a K-map by looking for a grouping of 1s in the map that form a rectangle or square shape. This grouping will have an even number of 1s and will not include any adjacent 1s. The inputs for an XOR gate will be represented by the variables on the edges of the rectangle, and the output will be found in the center cell of the rectangle.

3. Can an XOR gate be recognized in a K-map with more than 2 input variables?

Yes, an XOR gate can be recognized in a K-map with more than 2 input variables. However, the pattern to look for will become more complex as the number of input variables increases. It is still possible to identify an XOR gate by looking for a grouping of 1s with an even number of 1s and no adjacent 1s.

4. Are there any other methods for recognizing XOR gates besides using K-maps?

Yes, there are other methods for recognizing XOR gates such as using boolean algebra expressions or truth tables. However, K-maps are a popular and efficient tool for identifying XOR gates, especially when working with circuits with multiple variables.

5. Can a K-map be used for any type of logic gate or only for XOR gates?

K-maps can be used for any type of logic gate, not just XOR gates. They are commonly used for AND, OR, and NOT gates as well. However, they may not be as effective for more complex logic gates such as NAND or NOR gates.