Attach PVC: Best Way for Boats | Strongest Bond

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, there are a few options for attaching PVC in a strong manner for use on a boat. One option is to use the glue and cleaner sold at home centers specifically for PVC plumbing, which is relatively inexpensive and easy to use. Another option is to try melting the PVC and letting it cool, although this has not been tested. Plastic welding can also be a strong method, but its effectiveness with PVC sheet or plank is uncertain. Lastly, using a marine grade adhesive may be the best choice for a boat.
Rasine
does anyone know the best way in which to attach pvc with pvc? this is for a boat, so it must be as strong as possible.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The glue sold at home centers for attaching the PVC plumbing bonds the plastic together quite well and is fairly inexpensive to boot. There is a cleaner as well (typically sold right next to it) and aside from a nasty smell they set quickly and are easy to use. With the PVC plumbing, it seems the tubing is as likely to break as the joint if you try to separate a joint that did not set in the right direction...

You could somehow melt the PVC and let it cool. Haven't tried it though.

Plastic welds can be fairly strong. I guess that is what the poster above is suggesting.

What kind of joints, i.e. lap or butt joints? Lap would be stronger, and a solvent glue as Cliff_J mentioned would be sufficient.

Plastic welding is a possibility - but I am not sure of the experience with PVC sheet or plank.

You might try comparing bond strength with the two methods.

marine grade

If its for a boat you intend to use, you should check into a marine grade adhesive.

1. What is the best way to attach PVC for boats?

The best way to attach PVC for boats is by using PVC adhesive, also known as PVC glue or cement. This type of adhesive is specifically designed for bonding PVC materials and creates a strong and durable bond.

2. Can I use regular glue to attach PVC for boats?

No, regular glue is not suitable for attaching PVC for boats. PVC adhesive is specially designed for bonding PVC materials and provides the strongest and most durable bond.

3. How do I prepare the PVC surface before attaching it to my boat?

Before attaching PVC to your boat, it is important to clean and dry the surface thoroughly. Any dirt, oil, or residue can prevent the adhesive from creating a strong bond. You can use a mild detergent or rubbing alcohol to clean the surface.

4. How long does it take for the PVC adhesive to dry?

The drying time for PVC adhesive can vary depending on the brand and type of adhesive used. Generally, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 24 hours for the adhesive to fully dry. It is important to follow the specific instructions on the adhesive product for the best results.

5. Is PVC adhesive waterproof?

Yes, PVC adhesive is waterproof once it has fully cured. This makes it ideal for attaching PVC materials to boats, as it can withstand exposure to water and moisture without losing its bond strength.