Is current used up in a resistor or the voltage is used up?

In summary: Thanks for clearing things up!In summary, current is the flow of electric charge, and a resistor allows more of the current to flow and therefore the voltage is reduced.
F|234K
is current used up in a resistor or the voltage is used up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither.

What do you mean by "used up" that is not a term I commonly see used in this contex.

lol, that is EXACT wording of the question in my book.

"is current used up in a resistor"

What do you know about current in a resistor?

Throw your book out the window, because it is poorly written.

Resistors follow Ohm's law: V = IR. That's the most precise, and most correct statement you can make about them.

- Warren

well, current decreases if there is a resistor present, and i think voltage decreases at the same time...then it's both decreases...but i remember the teacher said something about voltage decreases. therefor, i don't really know.

What is current?

It's really just a horribly-worded question with no clear answer.

If you add a resistor in series with another, the total resistance increases, and the current drops (as Ohm's law indicates). Each resistor also has a voltage drop across (again, as Ohm's law indicates).

On the other hand, if you place a resistor in parallel with another resistor, the total resistances goes down, and more current flows, while the voltage on the first resistor isn't changed at all!

So write that down.

- Warren

well...the charge flow through something for a specific period of time...

Data said:
What is current?
The flow of charge; i.e. the amount of charge that passes a fixed point in the circuit per unit time.

- Warren

current = flow of electric charge

all power line, wire and cable carry current...

chroot, thanks a lot.

I was asking the poster :bugeye:

In RC circuits, current is always conserved, since otherwise you'd have to get a charge buildup at some point, which would quickly stop the current altogether.

Data said:
you'd have to get a charge buildup at some point, which would quickly stop the current altogether.
...which is exactly what a capacitor is.

You're talking generally about the continuity equation for current, which holds in a purely resistive circuit. The same continuity equation certainly does not apply for a capacitive circuit, however -- there can be a current into the capacitor's leads, but no current flows between its plates.

- Warren

F|234K said:
is current used up in a resistor or the voltage is used up?
For Resistors (to which this question refers) in any circuit, the Current entering a Resistor EQUALS the Current exiting the Resistor (otherwise, like Data points out, electrons would accumulate inside the Resistor). Thus, there is "no loss of current" inside a Resistor.

However, when this Current "I" flows thru a Resistor "R", a VOLTAGE DROP "V" of magnitude {V = I*R} occurs across the Resistor. (The measured Voltage on one side of the Resistor will be less than that on the other when referenced to the same "zero point" in the circuit). Thus, in some sense, the situation is like "losing voltage". (<--- bad term, we're just humoring the textbook)

It's better to think in terms of water pressure: Higher pressure (i.e., higher Voltage) is required on one side of the Resistor than the other in order to supply power for "pushing electrons" thru the Resistor (which presents "resistance" to electron flow). ((This process represents electrical power "W" of magnitude W = I*V = V2/R = I2*R being converted to heat.)) In any case, the Resistor's Voltage Drop {V = I*R} is used extensively in circuit theory (e.g., Kirchoff's Laws, etc.).

~~

Last edited:
thanks, xanthym. i was doing the problems and i found, just like you said, the voltage "drops", and the value is equal to V=IR

1. Is current used up in a resistor or is the voltage used up?

The current in a resistor refers to the flow of electric charge through the resistor. The voltage, on the other hand, is the measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. Therefore, neither the current nor the voltage is used up in a resistor. Instead, they are transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or light.

2. Does a resistor consume current?

No, a resistor does not consume current. It simply resists the flow of current by converting the electrical energy into another form, such as heat. The amount of current that flows through a resistor is determined by the applied voltage and the resistance of the resistor.

3. How does a resistor affect current flow?

A resistor affects current flow by resisting the flow of electric charge through it. This resistance is measured in ohms and determines the amount of current that can pass through the resistor. As the resistance increases, the current flow decreases, and vice versa.

4. Is voltage the same as current?

No, voltage and current are not the same. Voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge through the circuit. They are related, however, as the voltage determines the amount of current that flows through a circuit.

5. What happens to voltage and current in a resistor?

In a resistor, voltage and current are transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or light. The voltage remains constant throughout the circuit, while the current decreases as it flows through the resistor due to the resistance. This results in a decrease in voltage and an increase in temperature within the resistor.